PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Realistically, how much smoking of a pipe before resting would constitute oversmoking or otherwise using a pipe so much that you take a chance of damaging the pipe?

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've seen plenty of photos of over smoked pipes. Never seen a photo of the person who smoked those pipes. Gauging by those pipes I suspect they expired.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Maby re-smoking before the pipe cools, but I have a few pipes that are over 70 years old, well smoked and ig good shape

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I tried an experiment a few years ago where I took a brand new Savinelli sport and smoked it everyday, two or three bowls minimum, for over three months. Other then building a huge amount of cake in the bowl I couldn't tell a single different between the first bowl or the last. Maybe my tastes aren't as refined as others, maybe I had a lucky pipe, who knows for sure?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm delighted to hear these comment. See, I've been smoking my Nielson Sparrow a couple

E of times a day, w/o a genuine rest period of proper length, the darn thing smokes so well. I hope I can get over the novelty of a perfect smoker.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am not even sure you need it too cool. I have known many older pipe smokers in my time who smoked a single Dr. Grabow all day, every days for years. When the cake got to thick, they tossed it and bought a new one.
Granted this was 40 years ago and those men were not hobbyists. They were just pipe smokers.
If this is about your new Neilsen, smoke it until YOU want a break.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think the one thing to watch out for is the mortise. If it gets wet and you remove and reinsert the stem frequently, the stem fit can get a little wobbly. The bowl itself should be fine, though.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I treat the Sparrow like, well, a sparrow, using special while smoking. I clean frequently, ream it lighty, and so forth. Based on what you've all said, it sounds like the pipe will be fine.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I destroyed one of my cobs by smoking it too hot. By the time the outside was completely rimmed in black, the shank pulled free of the bowl.
On another (both were MMs), I lost the plastic band around the shank, causing the stem to no longer fit tight enough. I probably shouldn't have removed the stem while hot, and when I attempted to glue it with Gorrilla glue, there was a toxic taste.
Why the hell are those dammed MM plastic fittings necessary anyway? I've got briars with stems which fit directly into the shank without further ado!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I missed one of the previous posts and didn't realize this was about the Tonni Nielsen pipe.
I liken it to the old adage about "the good china"-- there's no point in having it if you're not going to use it. One of my favorite pipes is a Grp 2 Dunhill pot and sometimes I smoke it several days in a row and often twice in the same day. It's in no danger of being oversmoked, but I admit I've been careless about taking the stem out to clean it, so it's not quite as snug as it was when new. It still smokes as sweet and mellow as ever, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm repeating myself, but it is apropos. My dad basically smoked a pipe from right after breakfast to bedtime, including at work. He smoked only one pipe at a time and it only rested when he was asleep or eating. He started smoking when he was about 15 and quit cold turkey when he was about 65. He smoked nothing but Granger. He had one or two years, intermittent, when he smoked King Edward cigars instead, but then back to the pipe. He died at 89 licensed to drive without glasses.
So, from observation as a kid when I lived full-time at home, his one pipe usually lasted about two years, some a little longer. His only back-ups were one or two pipes that had already burnt out (cracked down the bowl usually) but were still smokeable, or a single cob the he smoked sometimes until its bowl cracked. So this experiment has been run before.

Mar 1, 2014
I have little doubt that a pipe could be smoked perpetually as long as you occasionally sterilize the shank.

Maybe after a few years the shank would still rot out from being constantly wet, but not likely. Without bacteria it's more a matter of erosion, maybe Decades then?

Using a Dunhill inner tube would keep a pipe puffing for centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.