PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Soymilkisgood offered a nice deal on an unsmoked Savinelli Vaniglia 320 KS. I got it, and I’m very happy I did! Came today; smoked it today. That's one of his pictures below I’m reposting.
So excited about the dang thing, want to give it a quick review.
Not everyone likes the author shape, I’ve heard -- though I’ve found a thread (different site) of gentlemen who do. I guess there’s someone for everything. And for me, I just feel “matched up.” It’s big and heavy. I’m big and heavy. My wife loves me; and my wife loves vanilla and rich chocolate. Fits.
The box smelled good. (Why did the *box* smell good?) . Box smelled good because the theme here was “vanilla.” Dark like the vanilla bean on the bowl and shank. White like vanilla on the stem. And they got jissssst a lil bitta vanilla scent in the bowl, get you started on your way, alter it as you like as you go.
I had not looked up dimensions or weight, so opening it I was surprised how heavy it was and how big that chamber is. I’ll post measurements later…it’s down in my vehicle right now. What I see posted by someone else is
Bowl: 50 mm at the broadest point (2”)

Chamber: Ø22 mm x 32 mm deep (0.87” x 1.25”).

Height: 42 mm.

Length: 142 mm (5.6”)
Shank is 24 mm in diameter

Button is 17 mm broad and 7 mm thick
I didn’t take long deciding which tobacco to fill it with as soymilkisgood supplied me with a new tin of Cavendish that was described as being a bit vanilla and chocolate. Oh, but man, when I opened it, it was really, really moist. I wanted to shut it and try something else, but then I got the notion of seeing how the balsa filter would be on the moisture.
Takes a little bit of tobacco to fill that thing! But really, it’s only a little bigger than my other Sav, so no biggie (poor pun half intended).
First I was afraid I couldn’t clench it. If I couldn’t clench it, I’d probably smoke it too hard or else never get a good enough rhythm going. Have to nurse it. I don’t like having to do much to a pipe after the true light, so that was unappealing.
I am a big man at 6’ 3” and 25 stone. (I much prefer 25 stone or even 159 kg to 350 lb.). So maybe that’s it? It was not a problem for me to clench this for an hour.
Balanced? Oh hell no. It’s bowl heavy, for sure. But three things help. One, the bend of the stem. That’s just enough to lay it down a bit. Straight-stemmed I don’t think it would work well.
Two, the chubby shaft and stem to the bit. It crowds my lips. In my big mouth, there’s some kind of advantage to that, almost like wrapping my lips around a cigar over to the side. Don’t know what it is. But it keeps it right at my teeth, doesn’t feel as though it’s prying my jaw open (which you’d think it would).
Then there’s just the way my head sits on my neck. Sort of leaning back a bit. (Makes bifocals a bitch). That tilts my teeth up in front, down in back. I always cant my stems a bit in the shaft so the pipes aren’t “dumping” to the side. Rotating them slightly gives an upright bowl.
Those three things make this clenchable, though I wouldn’t want to clench this thing more than an hour or so. My dentist would slap me, seeing my teeth eventually protruding on that side like bottle caps making love missionary style.
Now… smokeability. I expected briar taste on the first bowl at least. But I think the vanilla treatment, light as it was, confused that experience. It was a pleasant first smoke. I liked it.
And clenching it as I was, I established my routine smoking technique – same as most folks’, I bet – of just forgetting it was there, enjoying the smoky pool my tongue was basking in, not seeing it come out of my nose or lips, only the smoke rising from the bowl.
Cool smoke.
So at some point I turned the radio completely off and continued silently smoking, listening for the crackle and impending gurgle that such moist tobacco has *got* to make. Nothing. Huge bowl like that? Moist as that newly opened flavored Cavendish was? Nothing.
Nothing from beginning to end.
So now my curiosity was up pretty strong. Just before rushing in here to throw this up before I go back to work, I removed the now-cool stem from the shank. That balsa wood filter? Two things:
1) Balsa was so wet you’d need to put on waders before removing it. Glistening with thick wet moisture. Amazing how much moisture was on it and I hadn’t noticed it during the smoke (though I was smoking really slow, no huffing). It kept all that from my mouth like it was a sponge.
2) It wasn’t dark. It was just the lightest tan. Not as white as dry balsa, but definitely not tossable yet. (Let it dry? Just leave it alone? Have to read up on that. Haven’t used balsa filters before).
Cool, dry, *noiseless* smoke of a wet aromatic. Nice!
Now, I don’t want to have to keep ordering balsa. But they have sheets of the stuff in different thicknesses right at the hardware store. Can’t I cut strips, Dremel-route troughs in those strips to make my own filters?
As for tending to the tobacco… no need. I knocked the fluff down after the char. I knocked it down a little twice after that. Got an hour smoke out of it and did not relight, did not have any problem other than once when it seemed weak and I finger-flued it. It snapped right to life.
I like this pipe. And the best part of liking a pipe already on the first smoke? – It only gets better from here on in, doesn’t it?
I’ve only got, maybe.. what is it now… 26? 27? Not that many but big-time piper counts. Thought I was done. Thought I wasn’t getting more. But I’m very happy about this pipe. And where I was on the fence before about the author shape – huh uh, no problem anymore. It’s me. I like it.
RZqL6xD_zps706db793.png

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Great review!
A 320 is on my pipe bucket list for sure. Love that author shape.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Nice review! I just pulled the trigger on a Rossi in the same shape (no filter) - looking forward to comparing the experience...

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Nice review pups! I apparently did not know what the author shape was. Cool. I particularly like the gold lawn chair your Savinelli is enjoying.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Oh I hope you will, phred.
Something about the chamber geometry made that smoke so well. Least with that tobacco. I'll have to wait to see how it behaves on others.
But smoking it as I did, it was pretty much, I guess, the ideal burn. And I've got a hunch it wasn't the tobacco but the mechanics of the pipe.
Let us know how yours goes!
Simnetpratt- thanks! LOL: "gold lawn chair"

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Not everyone likes the author shape you say.

IMO it is the hottest shape selling right now judging from the estate market.

I have a Savinelli 620 that I've had for about 15 years or more and will never part with it. One of the finest smoking pipes I own, and I have a LOT of pipes.

Thanks for your review, I am glad to see that you will treasure that pipe for years to come as I do mine.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Doc, I love the Author shape and good ones go fast.
I don't smoke aromatic blends, but I always suspected the balsa filter was exactly what was needed. Perhaps I need a filter pipe to try some aromatic blends!
I knew you'd be hooked once you smoked a well made pipe. Get ready to spend some more cash feeding that addiction!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I bought a 320 at the pipe show. It is great. Smokes well. The balsa filter was moist after smoking some C&D Three Friars.
Winton

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Not highjacking at all, Forum Friend -- In fact, maybe a good idea?
Everyone show your authors? (According to Ukrainians on eBay, that might not be as limiting as we think! LOL).
Post 'em!

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Holy crap! That white stem is awesome. I do love the author shape and I think with the exception of custom jobs, Savinelli rules the roost for that shape. Here's mine, it LOVES mans best friend..

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I don't have one of those yet (author). The shape looks like it would almost be addictive to grasp. Nice pipe!

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I bet an author shape, and those pictured specifically, have a great hand feel to them. Nice lookin pipes!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Oh yes! Not going to be the ideal clencher (though that's how I intend to keep smoking it). Feels great to rest in a grasp. Hand-friendly shape.
And yes, ssjones. You've got me pegged. I'm starting to set aside a "pipe allowance" and drop hints about what would be good for Father's Day. (Being in here has corrupted me. I used to be blissfully ignorant. Now I'm discontentedly ignorant. Progress???)
:)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have a tracking number... :D
I'm teaching myself to write creatively, so the "Author" has had an appeal for some time as a writing pipe - now that the weather's cooperating, I can head home on Friday afternoon and set up on the back patio with my laptop and the current writing project(s).

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
You snapped it up before I could make up my mind! Glad it went to a good home that appreciates it.
I love the author, and bulldog shapes - they fit the hand beautifully. Thanks for letting me know what I missed by being undecided!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
From 13th Warrior:
"It's okay, Little Brother--there are more..."
:)
(Love that movie! But since Beowulf was my favorite story to teach, I may have been the only one in the theater at the time who "got it." The animated version didn't come out till many years later).
Shhh... the 320 is still resting.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Well, due to a combination of circumstances, I received my Rossi Messina 8320 last Friday, but did not have an opportunity to smoke it yet. My plan is to use this pipe as a carrot to encourage my writing habit, by only allowing myself to smoke it if I'm actively working on a writing project - which I plan to do for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon, to make up for running all over town last week instead of enjoying a leisurely smoke like I normally do.
A2A58242-CBCD-4DC2-B8FA-C6055B4A0C8C_zps4he824kj.jpg

If you recall how tiny the Tsuge Blowfish looked in my hand, here's what the Rossi looks like:
DBE3CA43-CDC3-4CA1-8592-A4EDF791FEBE_zpsfqwwuvda.jpg

The tub of Prince Albert arrived the same day, and has since been decanted into multiple canning jars, one of which I'll probably crack open to use in breaking in this pipe. I'll post details on the experience once I've actually fired it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.