PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I got a Comoy Grandslam on the bay. Looking at the pictures the walls are still plenty thick but it has been reamed a little out of round. Has anyone had any experiance with pipes like this? Does it really affect the smokeablity of the pipe? I haven't heard any particluar complaints about opera or oval style pipes.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Imo, no. Is it just that the cake that remains is uneven or did they get into the wood? Either way,rebuild the cake and it should be fine.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I had a George Jensen that was pretty out of round. It smoked fine until I dropped it and broke the tenon.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I had a George Jensen that was pretty out of round. It smoked fine until I dropped it and broke the tenon.

I seem to have the hardest time with the forward leaning bowls, like zulus. My lighting technique seems to burn the wall closets to me when I light them, which burns them out of round. Other than that, being out of round doesn't seem to affect the smoking. I just keep the cake wiped out, so no issues there.

However, I probably won't be getting any more of these tilted pipes.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have a couple of out of round pipes, a Dunhill Ring Grain and an early Ashton. I always joke that Bill Ashton Taylor, known to tip a few at work, was probably drunk the day he drilled the chamber, as its offset to a considerable degree. Both pipes smoke fine however.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
The seller disclosed it in the listing and I could see it in the pictures. But hey, I picked up a Grand Slam for $21, an it looked pretty decent. Thanks, glad I didn't make a big mistake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMOY-GRAND-SLAM-PIPE-CLASSIC-ENGLISH-PIPE-/251398957777?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=IbtW6fHVBL2v0n%252BQdhc96UwNZ0c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I don't think it'll affect smoking. I watched that pipe, too. Personally I probably wouldn't buy one that far out of round, but if I stumbled on one that I really liked for other reasons, I might.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Those pipes don't know they are out of round, the tobbaco and the Flame igniting it doesn't know it's out of round. It will either smoke good or bad, has character it has survived the wars, puff that son of a gun.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sorry but I believe that you are going to get a serious hot spot where the bowl is thin and that will affect the smoking quality of the pipe. Since you already bought it and knew of the issue before hand, I hope it smokes ok for you. For 21 bucks, I don't think you got hurt but be careful not to get it too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.