PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I just heard today on CNN that NYC wants to ban any soda in a container over 16 ounces. This is because larger sizes only contribute to obesity. Mr. Bloomberg wants everyone to be healthy. WHAT a load of crap, the Nanny State KNOWS you can't do anything for yourself, but don't worry, they will fix that for you. If it passes I am sure others will follow.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
That is a bunch of crap!

First tobacco and now pop! I seriously don't know what to think. My only hope that Michigan doesn't adopt something of that sort.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Heard this today myself. Now people will just buy 2 smaller drinks which will make more trash. Isnt trash supposed to be bad also? However you can get a gallon of vodka and chug it if you want but put DOWN the big gulp.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Baron...it'd never happen here. Texas will be the final bastion of freedom in this country.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I wonder why no one has addressed the necessity for taxes to control smoking and the "obesity epidemic" when Americans, even the fat, lazy smoking Americans have a longer life expectancy than ever before?

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
(Sarcasm follows): Now there ya go...just to be fair let's tax the crap out of grease, sugar, corn syrup, and make it illegal to add flavoring to snack foods, candies, and fast food.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
You want facts, and research and anwsers. That is asking WAY to much and does not give them the results they need. It should be enough that he says its true so it must be.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
@ jonahtke I would like to think so, but the way our cities have been putting up smoking bans, it doesn't bode well for soda either. I'm lookin' at you, Dallas! :x

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Here you go: SODA BAN
It may well be that Americans ought not to drink 20 ounce soda bottles any more than they should smoke. But if we are to live in a free country, they must have the right to do so. Those choices have consequences, but so does giving government the power to take those choices away from us. As grievous as our nation’s health problems may be, the damage from the latter may far outweigh it.
OK, I like this guy! We need more writers like this one.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I guess well need to cellar soda too. That said most soda are crap,mull of nasty preservatives, personally I like many of the small micro brewing soft drink manufactures like Virgil's and Fentimans, it's sort of the equivalent of pipe tobacco to cigarettes. I also find it funny that they aren't attacking Monsanto and that aspartame crap. Maybe they should stop subsidizing corn and then they'd stop using high fructose corn syrup ANG go back to cane sugar. Obesity numbers follow the introduction and expansion of high fructose corn syrup in the food market.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What I have never understood is why serving sizes have gotten so big. I grew up in the days of 10-12oz bottles of pop. Although there seems to be a return to some of these smaller bottles, in many places where you might duck in for a cold pop, you are lucky if you can find anything as small as 16oz. If they don't sell cans, you are stuck with more than you might want.

Remember when a 1/4 lb hamburger was a big hamburger? It's hard to find anything that small these days, except maybe at fast food joints.

I'm almost 62. I don't want (or need) a huge burger,huge bottle of pop, etc. But it's hard to find anything else these days. :puffy:

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
"I'd like a double quarter pounder, two large fries, and two 16 ounce drinks please."
You see, there are ways around stupid laws, anyone with half a brain will do just that.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Well, to be honest, chugging down a liter of Coca Cola is probably not the best idea in the world, but dammit, I still want the option if the need strikes me.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I totally disagree with it but I think what they are trying to do do is stop the, for lack of a better word the guilt, sales pitch, " you know a medium coke (12 oz) cost a dollar but for 50 cents more you can have a colossus coke (24 oz)". Some people have trouble passing up what looks like a good deal. In the end though this isn't going to stop obesity in the least.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I imagine Mayor Bloomberg fancies himself the new, "Big Brother!" Whats next?

What's next, you ask? Let me put it this way: I predict that we won't have seen the last of Bloomburg at the end of his mayoral term. I expect to see him on the national stage running for higher office, and that really scares me. He sure seems to be positioning himself for that. Anti-gun, anti-tobacco, anti-whatever is that I think you shouldn't be allowed to have because I'm richer and more powerful than you, and therefore I'm in control and there's nothing you can do about it. Perhaps I should have simply said "anti-freedom."

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It angers me that there are people who think they know what is best for me, and are forcing me to comply.

We pipe smokers have been warning about the precedent that tobacco restrictions have created, and now

everybody finds themselves sliding down the slippery slope. The next step will be rationing coupons to make

sure no one buys more than the government approved quantity of Pepsi.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I predict that we won't have seen the last of Bloomburg at the end of his mayoral term. I expect to see him on the national stage running for higher office, and that really scares me.

He's 70 now. Not old,but not a spring chicken,either. He'd have to run for Senate this year or in 2016, unless he got a vp nomination under Romney. Might happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.