PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Here is a really well written article from the perspective of a non-smoker concerning this new ban on outdoor smoking that is being persued around GTA. Ignore the ignorant comments at the bottom, obviously the problem lies in people's stupidity.
null

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
That was a great article, but the comments don't surprise me at all. Common sense is frowned upon in Ontario, if not shouted down, regularly. Better to just ban (or tax) everything.

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
The restrictions at first were unfair, but *somewhat* based on reason. Now its just out of hand. I'm not sure about anyone else, but where I live on Vancouver Island you can't smoke in restaurants/bars/pubs. You have to be 9ft. from the doorway of any business. There is no smoking in public parks, which includes beaches & trails. There's not even any possibility of a smoking lounge as the WCB rules are such that no employee can be exposed to 2nd hand smoke.
Also, retailers have to cover up all tobacco products so that they aren't viewable by minors. Which means the B&M I work at has to have all the glass that faces the street fogged out so no on can see inside. The alternative is to fog the glass on all the humidors so you cant see the cigars from the street and cover up the cigarettes and pipe tobacco inside the store.
Smoking ban bylaw details.

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know if this went through in the GTA but here in Ottawa our City Council did the exact same thing and banned smoking in all City owned public spaces including beaches, trails, parks, est....they higher college kids in the summer to walk around the City as anit-smoking gestapo handing out fines for non compliance.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
For every considerate smoker in a public area you will have 20 jerks.
The biggest thing that pisses me off about the current smoking situation is Punitive Taxes.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
The writer of the article could see both sides of the issue as a non-smoker, which is rare. I couldn't read more that a few comments before thinking 'these people are f'ing idiots'.
The article itself was well written. Here, smoking is banned inside businesses (but there are smoking lounges). You can smoke on bar patios however, which is nice... though not so much when every single person needs to comment on me smoking a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.