PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Everyone's read and probably praised the fact that pipes become a smoker's old friends, constant companions that serve reliably through thick and thin for most or all of one's life. Personally, this is my favorite distinguishing factor that separates piping from other forms of tobacco use. What other tools/items do you use or carry that have a similar status or feel? Accessories, blades, walking sticks?

My lighter comes to mind-if I have a pipe on me, which is often, I've got the Zippo that I bought freshman year for lighting "clove cigars" and later fitted with the pipe insert from another lighter. If you asked me to give up this Zippo or one of my favorite pipes, it would actually be a tough call.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
The folding knife I carry daily (a Spyderco, in case anyone cares), my zippo lighter (with all the pocket wear), and a handmade tamper someone gave me. These small things are always within reach or generally with me. Constant use has polished them, much like seaglass found on the beach. Old friends to be sure.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
My first acoustic guitar I call her Lucky, she was a tobacco burst Epiphone, but was broken at the head stock several times, now she is black and gold and used solely for slide guitar.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have a knife(CRKT) and a Zippo, both of which I've had around 15 years, and are my constant companions. Also several of my guns have reached that status. One in particular, a Taurus .44 magnum, once saved my life due to an angry bear encounter. It's now my mountain carry gun. I have other guns dedicated to daily carry, so that one only goes in the woods with me. I have another .44 mag as well, an S&W model 29 circa early 1980's still in the box, but it's mainly a safe queen. Another "old friend" gun of mine is a Mossberg 835 12ga., I've killed a lot of critters with that one. Myself and that gun have been through hell and back together!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Only thing other than a pipe that I always carry is my swiss army knife, but that probably doesn't count because if I lost it, I could easily buy a new one just like it, with no love lost.
Losing my pipe would devastate me.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I had a feeling firearms might come up here! I'm almost 21 and looking forward to living in a carry-friendly state someday, at which point I hope to add a Springfield XD to the list...

I didn't think of guitars, I have a couple of those that are pretty special too.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have 29 guitars and each has it's own personality. I could not part with any of them. My fist "real" guitar is a Guild M-65 that my parents bought for me in 1964. They're more important to me than any other possessions.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Erichbaumer, XD's are very good guns! I have one, actually bought it for my wife to carry but I carry it more than she does. It's a 9mm sub compact and shoots very well! I've shot other XD's as well,including .40's and .45's, and they're all great guns.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Petes03-I definitely agree, they're becoming my favorite make! I have (well, technically, my dad has it until March) an XD(M), full size in .40 that I shoot almost as well as a target 1911 and may enjoy just a bit more. One form or another of the XD will end up being my carry gun, someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.