PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
Not a single drug store in my Georgia (US) hometown carries Prince Albert. I'm a little worried that the great OTC's of yester-year might be walking toward that distant light. I'd love to try and sample as many of these "common guy" "drug store" "old coot" blends as might be available while there is still time. Ive ordered a tub of Sugar Barrel and looking forward to trying it.
Any ideas of what other OTC's might be interesting to try?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Less popular than Carter Hall, but still well respected by many, I like Granger. It's burley, but technically aromatic

because of the dressing, "The Wellman Process." Some people find it obnoxious, but it seems to fade quickly in

the can. It's a pleasant everyday smoke for many. You probably have to get it from the net. It's not distributed

much, a few discount places like J&R, if you're near that. Half-and-Half is liked by some, but distinctly not by others.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Sir Walter Raleigh is also a good OTC blend that should not be overlooked. To me, it's between Carter Hall and Prince Albert in strength, being less sweet than CH, and more nutty. I enjoy all three.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I enjoyed Kentucky Club when I found a pouch a few years back.
If you want to try these classic old blends, many of them are available from online places. Pipe tobacco is just not easily available these days.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
4noggins has a section called "Drug store Blends". You can purchase 2oz packs to try instead of a whole tub. I highly recommend Sugar Barrel.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I absolutely love Half & Half, I could smoke that one everyday. I also read up on a lot of these threads and decided to try some other OTC's, since some people were saying that H&H paled in comparison to some of the others, in their respectable opinions. Since then I've boughten PA and SWR. I can't even finish those tobaccos, they're sitting in jars. I realized by a thousand miles I prefer Half and Half for some reason, it must be dressing or whatever they do with it.
So, I would definitely recommend you try a pouch of Half and Half and see what think.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I still like CBW the best of the OTCs I HAVE tried. I have some CH as well that isn't too bad, maybe it has just been in the gorcery store tobacco cabinet too long. I pikc up OTC blends at the check-out when I feel like having something cheap to try for the night. The gorcery store has the best selection when it comes to OTC, more so than the Smoker Friendly down the street that carries mostly large bulk bags and CB blends.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
I bought a tub of Carter Hall 2 nights ago. I really like this blend. Any idea how CH doea being cellered?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
badgercat - I think you may be on to something here. When i first started smoking, I wanted to try some Captain Black White. Was told that it was in almost every corner drugstore. We I went to almost a dozen stores, really tiny holes in the walls and the big box stores and none carried it here in WA state. I finally acquired some and really like it very much now. Heavy casing and chemically but it is what it is. Wonderful room note.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
http://pipesandcigars.com/rejoe8ha.html
Reg joe 8 pack of OTC blends. 2 pouches of each, I highly suggest also trying Carter Hall and Half & Half.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
As a reminder.... if you do not like the OTC baccy, do not throw it out. You can mix it with other blends until you find a match you like.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
Zonomo, I love old cool man stuff and it's frightening how hard it is to find these days...try to find some Bay Rum Aftershave. If it wasn't for the internet I'd be lost. That's not right, I'd love to walk into a store and buy what I wanted but those days are long past.

Status
Not open for further replies.