PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I've posted my great appreciation for this tobacco before, but it's worth mentioning again.
I've been smoking a pipe now for around three months. Orlik Golden Sliced was one of the tobaccos that early on people here suggested would be a great introduction to both flakes and mild Virginias. When I first received my 100g tin I really liked it. Now that I've purchased around 30 other tobaccos, many flakes and kakes, many Virginias, VaPers, English blends, Latakia bombs, Burleys, aromatics, etc. etc., I have to say that OGS remains right at the very top of the list of tobaccos I can smoke day in, day out, morning, afternoon, or evening - and consistently receive a wonderful smoke.
Although I have found myself gravitating to deeper, stronger, tobaccos, I find that they are best smoked on a very full stomach, or later in the day. OGS is an anytime, every time, smoke.
So when I want a smoke that I absolutely know I'm going to enjoy, or when I'm giving a new pipe its maiden smoke, OGS is the tobacco I reach for.
Most of us here have smoked it. And many of us enjoy it.
For those who have not yet had the pleasure, I highly recommend getting yourself a tin.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a great testimonial for a wonderful blend. I look forward to your comments on some of the other blends you have on hand, especially when compared to OGS.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
andy, while I also love OGS, I must ask you to not extol the virtues of this tobacco. People are going to rush out and buy up my inventory that I keep at various vendors. :nana:
Seriously, it is a fine flake and agree with you. :puffy:

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Jason - I just sent the Orlik folks a note that they need to ensure they keep a steady supply for you :D
I find it difficult to compare OGS with any other Virginia flake, because I haven't found another like it.
For example, another fine Virginia flake, and also among my favorites, is Dunhill Flake. But Dunhill is stronger, and I'd be less likely to smoke it in the morning - more of an afternoon or evening smoke. It's certainly not the strongest of my tobaccos, but I'd consider Dunhill a medium, where OGS is a mild to medium.
If there are other Virginia Flakes that compare with OGS in terms of its mild to medium body, and its moderate complexity (a hint of citrus maybe?), please let me know.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
I've only tried a couple Virginia flakes but so far OGS has been my favorite, nice blend of flavors and that citrus note livens it up.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I just had some Gawith & Hoggarth's Best Brown #2 that reminded me of OGS. The primary difference was that the BB2 had a tartness that walked the line between citrus and vinegar. Without that extra flavor component I would've mistook it for OGS, which I am a big fan of, btw.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You know, i tried that a couple times last year and didn't love it. But I was a newbie, smoking it too wet, and it was very humid outside. Might need a revisit.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
OGS--mild, pleasant--great anytime of day. Funny thing about this tobacco, regardless of whether you smoke English, aromatics, vapers, you name it--when you smoke a bowl of OGS, it just feels right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OGS, love at first puff. It's so simple and yet so complete, so straightforward yet so realized.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
+1 OGS, Mac Baren Navy Flake and Capstan Blue and Gold. I think the latter is particularly like OGS, as is Mac Baren Virginia Flake. All of them are great all day flakes but my favs are the Blue and Navy - I'm smoking the latter right now.
Andy

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have 4 or 5 tins of OGS aging... they have over a year on them now. I tried a 50g tin a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, but I cant remember what it tastes like now.
As tempting as it is, I think ill wait another year or two...

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Perhaps I should revisit this one. When I first tried it, I was like meh. Not much flavor and not much else going on. This was 4-5 months ago so I think I will dig it out and give it another go.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
OGS is far too bright for me. Unfortunately, I've been smoking a lot of it, due to it's low price, and that I ordered five 100 gram tins of it on a whim one day. I prefer the more rounded natures of Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue, Cut Virginia Plug, etc.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've gravitated to non aro smoking, and have enjoyed PSLBE, JKP, Mc's2015, Escudo, and PSLNF. I've never tried OGS, but I've got some waiting for me when the inspiration strikes. I EXPECT the OGS to be similar to LNF?
I am eager to try Newminsters Superior Slices, due in today, along with my first ever English blends.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Newbroom, LNF and OGS are fairly similar. I normally smoke LNF all day at work, but have had to switch to OGS as I ran out of LNF recently. I can tell you this: by the third bowl or so, both just taste like a bright Virginia with a whisper of Perique.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
OGS is real good stuff, I would also recommend Brigham's Klondike Gold. But as @lostandfound said, for the quality and value it is tough to beat a 100g tin of OGS.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I am in the middle of my first bowl of Newminsters superior slices, well, not even in the middle and already I like it better than LNF. Much more flavorful and the first one that I noticed was B&M Baked beans. This slice smokes easily right out of the pouch w/o fear of extinguishing itself. It sips (in this pipe anyway) with hardly a draw on my stem and

now I'm ghosting the immediately preceding bowl of Newmninsters Ultimate English #52. Holy crap that stuff is incredible. Talk about long lasting flavor. No, it's not the same pipe. It's my tongue and nose. Not to mention that it was my very first EVAH English blend.
Back to the slices...what's not to like? I may never open my tins of OGS & Escudo, or my nightcap, or my White Knight. I guess there's a range of flavors in English blends too...so..TAD.
I gotta call both Newminster acquisitions home runs!

Status
Not open for further replies.