PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I am usually very suspicious with all the Danish blends (I hate aromatics), but Golden Sliced is OK. The tin note is somewhat reminiscent of Erinmore with a topping that smells like orange peel. The flake presentation is one of the best I have ever seen. They all come wrapped up as in a cotton reel and break down in thick leather like ribbons when you pull the whole thing apart. In my personal opinion this is very suggestive and an invitation to have a sit-down and explore. The strength of this tobacco is rather mild and the topping is only slightly detected in your smoke. I would have expected a stronger tobacco in this respect, but I guess this is what it is. I am finding this tobacco very similar to things like Capstan or Dunhill Flake, but the topping will set it apart. I'd be surprised if this tobacco surprised the more experienced smoker, but that is not to say this is not a good baccy or that it should avoided at all cost. I don't think I will buy it again, but I've nor reasons to reject it either.
photo%2099_zpsyofrqgkz.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I think Orlik GS gets better after sitting in a jar for a month or two. It does have a orange peel flavor....I pick up the same flavor as in Earl Grey tea. By the end of the tin I was noticing darker favors coming through. Making OGS a more medium bodied smoke. Great review.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
That "orange peel" essence in OGS might be a touch of bergamot flavoring. Bergamot is a popular flavoring in Scandinavia and it appears in many different Swedish snus varieties. Also it's what gives Earl Grey tea its character.

It took me a bit to come to like this blend. It is very light, and it can trick you into over puffing, thus burning your tongue. But, after I came to terms with the process of slow smoking, I found that I really liked this tobacco. There are a whole range of these light Virginia Flakes, Newminster Superior Navy Flakes and Virginia #1, which have a very natural sweet, lightly cased flavor that is best tasted when smoked very slow and cool, IMO. Good review, and on my first tin of this, I wasn't crazy about it either. But, now I have whole reams of these tins stored back in my cellar. But, not everyone is going to like the same things. This might not be yours.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I see that there is a price reduction @ P&C on Gatsby Luxury Flake. I've smoked OGS but not the Gatsby.

I like to keep some VA flakes around. They offer a nice contrast to Lats and Burleys.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
A fair thought on OGS. I find that once the tin starts to dry out once opened the flavors seem to pop more for me. Also noticed this with Escudo and St James flake.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've never heard of Golden Sliced having a topping on it. Everywhere I've seen descriptions of it it's just a VaPer. I've had three tins of it myself and all I've ever tasted is natural tobacco flavors.
It's a solid blend. One that I think helps some venture from aromatics into non-aromatics.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
OGS gets lots of good reviews. I haven't tried it yet but have around 10 tins in the cellar to age a little.....waiting. :puffy:

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
wow and here I'm thinking OGS is fantastic. I'm in total agreement with lordofthepiperings because OGS was the tobacco that changed my world in smoking a pipe .Before this tobacco I was fumbling though aromatics searching for a sweet flavor or some kind of real taste and I didn't find it until I found OSG.

If there is something in the Va/partobacco category that is ever better PLEASE let me know because I want to try that ASAP

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@ember- I won't say it's a "better" VaPer, but you would be well-served by trying Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. For my taste buds, it's on par with but different from OGS (which I like very much, BTW).

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Preferred by all shrewd judges.
I have some of this. It is a proper Danish style blend.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't like Virginias much or flake tobacco, but OGS is a staple for me in the sweltering hot summer months. I also like it aged a year or two and try to stay ahead of my usage. I like to roll it into a ball, which turns into a nice ribbon which lights and smokes great. OGS also doesn't make my breath smell so bad, compared to my lat-heavy main stays. (which my wife appreciates...)

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
That review sits directly on the fence. It could have stopped after the following sentence.
The sentence is somewhat contradictory and might give the impression I am undecided, but then I am making a choice, which is the exception that proves the rule. Here I am only trying to convey the idea I had mixed feelings about it due to my previous preconceptions or prejudices about Danish tobacco and aromatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.