PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd just add that the way pipe smokers commune with the leaf, this idiom is a fine image of integrating a thought/idea with your inner self. I actually did hear the expression in the U.S. Midwest, Chicago area, in the 1950's.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I recently heard why we make a toast. Apparently in the England a few centuries ago [I think the Elisabethan Era] people used to season their wine and beer with toasted bread. It was supposed to enhance the flavor. So gradually toast became a metaphor for something which enhances an experience. Eventually a certain personage was declared "The Toast of the Town" and it was shortened to what we have now.

The loo is a polite expression for the w.c. This started because one night an extremely drunken aristocrat got lost in a Noble House in the middle of the night and relieved himself in Lady Louisa's bedchamber. This became a running joke in London, with guests announcing they were "going to lady Louisa's room". It then became shortened to The Loo.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I always love reading the origins of coloquialisms, and the such. Another is the "tip" jar found in most restaurants and fast food establishments. The Tip jar is actually an acronym, T.I.P. Or "To improve promptness" and was a way of leaving an incentive for the waiters or cashier to speed up the service while keeping efficiency. I always thought that was pretty neat. Just food for thought:)

Status
Not open for further replies.