PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
According to tobacco reviews.com:
Used to be Virginia and burley. Now is Virginia and black cavendish.
I tried the current pouch version and it is literally the only tobacco that I have ever just thrown out rather than giving away. A friend has what appears to be a large 70s or 80s tin in good shape, unopened, and has offered it to me.
Is the original stuff actually decent? Would there be any reason to hope that it has improved with 30-50 years of aging?

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
The good thing about the original Borkum Riff is it was the first pipe tobacco I ever really tasted. Not so ironically, that was also the bad thing about Borkum Riff.
Ymmv. As they say, one man's trash...just because some don't like it, doesn't mean all should.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
This one with all its varieties(Cherry,Bourbon,black cavendish and the original) is the brand I can't stand.

Another one is Caravelle brand by Scandinavian tobacco group and in the lesser degree the Hamiltons Blanding by the same company.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Family sent me some version of BR Bourbon some years back, purchased in Holland, and I remember it as being good, but I don't know which iteration it was, or if Holland got a somewhat different product in terms of sourcing of leaf, processing, and blending. These days, along these lines, I like Edward G. Robinson, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, and SWR Aromatic (burley, Virginia and three liqueurs for flavoring). If I smoked BR, I'd choose the bourbon, which like Spackle can mask a world of sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.