PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
R1fkEkw.jpg

I've always loved the Smokers Haven logo.
The other day I was bouncing around in the throes of tobacciana research and came across this late 50's Gallaher's RDH advert, which seems to be the source.
I think it's a great choice of image to represent a pipeshop.

trlkyeg.jpg

te26diA.jpg

The "pipesmoker in armchair" theme is universal and almost as popular as the classic "the cloak, the cap, and the calabash" representations.
The W.O. Larsen logo is a more minimalist example, but still very cool.

YcfWcrT.jpg

This old Wills ad is one of my all-time favorite adverts, it's just great!

oriw0XW.jpg

Yes, Batman smokes a pipe.

BCCbkvv.jpg

A few more armchair pix...

HSEDwRi.gif

xK0BD1i.jpg

Qdng4uQ.jpg

c855qFt.png

3pIv9ju.jpg

M4KCebM.jpg

on07qcJ.png

nltqFyM.jpg

It's always better to be softly settled inna comfy armchair...

RALBF4V.jpg

...but many of us aren't able to partake of such wonderful wingback luxury!

;)

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
It shows you have put a lot of time, care, into this project. Excellent , Thank You.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Troy, thanks for sharing these pix with us. As with all of your other threads, your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

Always an edifying experience clicking on your posts! :clap:

smokershaven

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Columbus, Ohio USA
Wow, those pictures are awesome! I hope the logo was not copied by the founder of Smokers' Haven Joe Zieve. I have seen this print ad and many others that are identical but with a different logo on the top. The earliest date on record for the logo is a trade mark that was registered in 1964 and the first use in commerce was in 1962. However, I do have pictures of the old shop that have cans of our Pure Pleasure (which has the logo) that date from the early 1950's. The original logo on the early 1950's Pure Pleasure is a little different from the Gallaher's ad. The logo I am currently using was modified back in 1999 when I added in the lettering for "Smokers' Haven" When Joe Zieve was stationed in England in 1941 for the war, he did spend time at a few tobacco factories including Sobranie and Gallaher's, and it may be possible he got the idea from Gallaher's, or maybe another print ad from some other company.

May 31, 2012
Awesome!

Thanks for chiming in Premal!
You did a great job modifying the logo, the lettering is exquisite and perfectly matches the iconic image.
It would be pretty interesting to know where the image originated, but really by now it's a moot point, it is clearly owned by Smokers' Haven, I mean y'all been using it for over half a century now!
Who knows? It may have been some form of clip art way back when, or it may've been an old illustration re-used for commercial purposes, or it may've been commissioned by Gallaher --- it'd be difficult to really track down.
Thanks for the info about Joe Zieve, that's interesting stuff to know.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Cortez and others, your threads are must reads.
Fascinating information. I wonder what ever became of Bill Porters chair? Here's hoping some pipeman has it stashed and is still using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.