PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Lately when I was smoking some tobaccos of Mc Clelland Grand Orientals line, I was asking myself If the sour&spicey(in lesser degree) tastes are typically and commonly found in all main oriental tobacco varieties?This oriental specifical taste is especially obvious and well present in many Dunhill classic English blends such as Standard mixture.Thank for your thoughts,and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've only smoked two oriental-forward blends in recent times, both Dunhills (MM965 and The Aperitif)and both have what I would call a sweet-and-sour or spicy-floral taste and room note. Those both contain some Latakia, MM965 more than The Aperitif, and both also contain unflavored brown cavendish. Each of those blends has its own similar but distinctive flavor profile. So I would imagine other manufacturers' oriental-forward blends would also vary, based on the type and proportion of the various components.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've only smoked two oriental-forward blends in recent times, both Dunhills (MM965 and The Aperitif)and both have what I would call a sweet-and-sour or spicy-floral taste and room note. Those both contain some Latakia, MM965 more than The Aperitif, and both also contain unflavored brown cavendish. Each of those blends has its own similar but distinctive flavor profile. So I would imagine other manufacturers' oriental-forward blends would also vary, based on the type and proportion of the various components. I also think each smoker's own taste contributes to how a blend is perceived. Not everyone will get the same taste from a blend.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Most oriental blends I've tried, have as you say a sour/spicey tang to them. I strongly recommend: presbytarian mixture/skiff mixture/mcConells oriental & hoggarth's no. 12 mixture. I believe the finest available blends in that genre.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
L.J. Peretti
Oriental No. 40 A blend entirely made up off tobaccos from the Near East. It has richness and full flavor.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank you Gentelemen for your comments, much appreciated, as Mr, Shutterbug well describted so typical english flavor profil to which I always had a hard time to getting used to,yes definitively these are flavorful, punchy,yet complex mixtures,I still need to accomodate myself to them,Meanwhile now I have handy the following blends to discover,SG Skiff,Robert Lewise's The Orcilla and finally a tin of Dunhills Aperitif,I still ponder if these aforementioned mixtures do benefit tastewise from some aging,,

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
If you enjoy Perique and a fuller blend, McC's Bombay Extra is absolutely amazing. Very Oriental forward but in no way a one trick pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.