Ordering Bulk Burley Soon. Which Has the *Least* Amount of Casing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I've been stocking up on Burley, and I have some Uhle's on its way. Love the stuff, but it can get expensive. I also have enough Stormfront to last me a few months, too. But I'm looking for a good priced bulk burley that isn't masked by too much casing. I've had Classic Burley Kake, which--while tasty--can be a little overwhelming. Fresh out of the bag, it can be like smoking sweet cocoa (which some people love).
How does Butternut Burley and Altadis Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match compare to CBK in terms of casing/added flavoring? Maybe I should consider Moe's Confetti as well.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have to recommend MacBaren's Burley London Blend for a no nonsense smoke that is reasonably priced. I think it is also available in bulk. Solani Aged Burley Flake is very good, but more expensive. Neither blend is noticeably cased.

orlik-london-600x448.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Haven't had the Butternut Burley, but ERR Match has a fair amount of casing. It's mostly a sweetener and the added flavor isn't strong, but it burns hotter than an uncased burley because of the sugars in the casing. Good stuff in any case.
Haunted Bookshop has a touch of VA and a little Perique. It comes in bulk and I detect almost no casing whatsoever (which may explain why it can be somewhat harsh to the uninitiated). It's good, though, and STRONG.
The best plain burley, to me, though, is Burley Flake #2, which is dark and light burley with just a touch of VA. There is very little casing and no detectable added flavor, but unlike Haunted Bookshop BF #2 is very smooth with a nice, nutty, natural burley flavor. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in bulk, but it's probably my favorite -- just a notch above Uhle's 00 for me.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
FYI, I really enjoy Burley and smoke quite a bit of Solani ABF, which my wife says is tolerable, however MacBaren Burley London Blend was a deal breaker. She said the room note was foul and "shit-like". I mean no offense to anyone who smokes this blend, as I thought it tasted pretty decent, but....I smoke indoors and do not abuse the privilege by smoking blends the wife considers foul. This is a woman who actually enjoys the smell of Latakia blends and doesn't mind Va./ Per.'s so when she uses the term "shit-like", it must smell pretty foul.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
MacBaren Burley London Blend was a deal breaker. She said the room note was foul and "shit-like". I mean no offense to anyone who smokes this blend
No offense taken. I have also heard the room note described as 'stale piss' in a tobacco review. I mainly smoke outside and in the garage, so I will have to try this in a more closed environment and see what develops.
In the pipe I get a nice burley, woodsey, almost cedar-like side stream, very pleasant. This blend has been around forever so to each, his own I guess.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
The LJ Heart Burley sounds like a winner. The description is not unlike PS Cube Cut, which I would really like were is not for its atrocious bite. I'm a sipper, and that stuff still murders my mouth. Too bad, because I love the flavor and smell.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Concerning HB: I don't do too well with perique, so if it is more than a wisp, my mouth will be unhappy.
And you might be right about Uhle's blends. I have not found anything I like better. The price is a bummer; I'll try Edgeworth match and see how it goes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Room note on ERR Match is pretty nice.
Also, FWIW, the Perique in Haunted Bookshop probably smooths things out a bit rather than adding spice. The burleys are really rough around the edges (which I happen to like, sometimes). Just about any burley without some sugar and/or steam treatment will be somewhat acrid and harsh to most smokers. C & D have a number of blends with uncased (or minimally cased) burleys that have this quality.
I haven't tried it, but "Competition Blend" might suit.
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/Burley_blends.html

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Right now I am enjoying a bowl of Altadis Highlander in a Stanwell Nordic Horn/Dublin shape 217 Hand Made In Denmark.
Altadis Highlander: This excellent Scottish Mixture of Burley, Cavendish, and Virginia packs easily and delivers a wonderful taste along with perfect moisture.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I avoid Burleys until the cold weather sets in. To me they work better in cold, dry weather. Va's sing when it's hot & humid.

Haunted Bookshop is especially yummy, and its musty character fits the Dickensian mood.

(OK, I know it's supposed to be Christopher Morley.) :D

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We have a handful of minimally processed Burleys in our bulk blending components section (PipesandCigars.com). If you want to avoid heavy casings, these would be your best bet.
Russ

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Mac Baren Burley London Blend is an excellent and refined blend. I've never had the Edgeworth Match, but I've heard good things about it.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Incidentally, I just got my Uhle's tobaccos in the mail today. I'm smoking blend 00 right now. So straightforward, so simple, yet incredibly solid. As natural a smoke as I have ever had. Many people who have tried this blend insist it has a light casing. I can't detect any casing, perhaps because I've never had a non-cased Burley. So it is hard for me to compare lightly cased burleys from naturally sweet ones.
I should have ordered blend 300 as well!

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
EDIT:
OK, I can indeed taste the light casing on Uhle's 00. And you're right, Rothnh. I may indeed just make this my go-to blend. I just can't imagine a lightly flavored, "high end" codger burley being better than this. But Altadis ERR is on my list to try, as I'll need a less expensive option for my stock.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
The Macbarens London Burley smells like cocoa powder and tastes choclately too. The tin says this is natural but it smells too sweet for me. It is almost like an aromatic.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Futureman, you really should try Anglers Dream from Pipes & Cigars. It is very good. I can't say I fully understand everything about processing tobacco and getting it into smoking form. I think all of it is at least minimally "cased" or something. I don't think much about it. If I like it, I like it. Good luck in your search!

Status
Not open for further replies.