PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
At the moment I don't have a Zippo but I am thinking of getting one. The question is,do I go for one using lighter fuel or one of the Zippo Blu that uses gas? Right now I am using cheapy gas lighters.I value your opinions.
Tom

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I personally think that zippo fuel makes the tobacco taste funny. Especially since I smoke aeros. I like matches because they let you taste the tobacco and not the fuel, but in a pinch I will use a BIC.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I use a zippo with a thunderbird lighter for my pipes, a regular with ronsonol for everything ese

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
I can taste naphtha while the light is there and for a couple of puffs, after that it's fine. I haven't tried Zippo black, but will so.

I can't taste butane, so use that for preference, but in the cold and wind they can be a pain.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I have a trusty zippo that has the pipe-conversion side holes in the chimney, but uses the old naptha-fluid. It is the only soft-flame I've had that faithfully lights out in the wind. The downside for me is that it seems to need re-filling every two days. I saw the torch-type insert for zippo on ebay which should work well provided it can be adjusted enough to reach down into the last dottle. I didn't buy that as I am left-handed, and the flame is directed only to the one side.

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
I like my Zippo; the black can fuel imparts no taste or scent as far as I can tell.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I find my two Zippo lighters are always out of fuel. I have never figured out if I am over using them or not filling them properly. The pipe insert does work really well but I tend to use matches because I dislike the filling process.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
My mileage is that zippo fuel last longer while sitting than ronsonol.
The more you keep the lighter upright the better it does on fuel.
You still end up having to refuel every 5 days or so.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Personally, I've found it very difficult to use a Zippo with the pipe insert. Difficult to draw and adjust the flame. I noticed a slight fuel taste but only immediately after lighting...doesn't linger, so it's not really a big issue.
I recently acquired a Xikar Scribe lighter, and I'm very happy with it. I think the design is perfect for pipe use:
http://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/scribe/

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I use my Zippo almost exclusively. I fill it every Monday morning and it gets me through the week. I always keep an extra flint or two inside the case, just in case. For that ever possible out of fuel emergency, I keep a dozen kitchen matches in my zipper pouch kit to get me home. Never noticed a foul taste, but I suppose it is possible with some "lighter" blends. Most of mine are stout english blends.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I use the Zippo fluid in the black can. The smell is far less and I do not notice it when lighting. Great in the wind as when driving or outside. Soft flame has to be good for the briar.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I love my Zippo. Unfortunately it's not the best for pipes; hard to get the flame to the bottom of the bowl, fire too close to the rim, etc.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I love my zippo, great in the wind, no problem getting flame down the bowl (and that is in a peterson 306 so a prettly damn deep bowl!) and I never have any problem with fuel flavour after just a couple of seconds, or if you let it burn for a mo before lighting its fine. Hope this helps :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've lost count of the lighters I've bought over the years. I use a Zippo pipe light exclusively now with fluid and have never had an issue with taste. Good luck with your quest.

Jul 12, 2011
Agree zippo with "black can zippo fuel, I think it states premium"

I have several and have gifted several pipe insert models to other

brothers who choose these above all else for pipes as well as cigars ;-)
Btw; I'm speaking with zippo and talks of a TheSmokinDragon model,

should be pretty bad-arz when I get done with it ;-)

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I hate Zippos, can't beat a dedicated pipe lighter, one with tamper and spike, loads of good quality ones out there. I have been piping it for over 40 years and have tried all types and Zippos come bottom, a box of matches is more use than a Zippo. I dare say all you Zippo fans will be offended by my views, so be it, you are all miss guided, they are not macho, just crap. :crazy: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.