Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I'm talking about the Falcons, Kirstens, Grabow Vikings, and whatever others are out there. I had a Kirsten and really liked it. One of the things I liked best was that you could get it really clean, although it took a little effort. It smoked heavy Latakia blends superbly. I don't have it anymore, though. It was a Regency model and was simply too heavy to clench and I've always been a clencher. I'm thinking about getting a Falcon as I've heard they are lighter and simpler to clean. Any other opinions?

Smokey

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I have some falcons & a kisten , but i don't like them they get to wet inside .

and i'm not a wet smoker .My briar pipes don't do that. :puffy:

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have a Kristen which is my truck pipe. Allways left in the truck to supply a pipe if I don't bring one from home, it smokes well but I prefeer a briar.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Many years ago I had a Kirsten. The tobacco flavor was diminished and the bowl to small (short smoke time). I have since picked up a DG Viking and another Kirsten. I have learned to slow down puffing cadence now. I find that the tobacco burns down to the bottom of the bowl due to the draft being centered in the bottom of the chamber in both of these pipes. They clean up quickly and nicely. They can be smoked again right away after cleaning.
I like them now. I will get an over sized bowl for the Kirsten since they are still to small.
:puffpipe:

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I have a pretty old "law suit" Grabow Viking that I smoke every once in awhile. It smokes cool and dry but does gurgle some, I think the draft hole construction is the cause of the gurgle. I like the way it looks, very industrial. I do like the idea of having multiple bowls, they take up less room when I have to travel. I pre-load the bowls and cap them with a rolled up pipe cleaner and take as many as I might need for a day of Dr. visits.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I have a viking that smokes well, and cool. Of course I do not touch the metal parts when smoking it.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have a 1940 Kirsten it's one that don't need o-rings and 6 Falcons. I like them nice fast clean up and they smoke good for me.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I have 1 falcon. When i first got it the draw felt a little restricted and it smoked hot. So i made the hole in the bottom of the bowl a little bigger with a knife. The draw opened up and now it smokes great.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I have a few grabow vikings all good smokers and 1 old kaywoodie filter plus pipe that smokes good.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Traditional pipes are made from materials which absorb the moisture well (Briar, Meer, Clay, ect...), I feel that any material which does not, is not suited for tobacco and is generally used for illegal substances because they can be completely cleaned of any residue. Metal and Glass does not seem to offer any benefits to the enjoyability of the smoke. Real tobacco pipes made from that stuff just feels "gimmicky." Just my two cents, not here to bash Falcon or any other reputable tobacco pipe manufacturer which does choose to use these materials.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
My Falcons serve me well all day, everyday.
Over here in the UK EVERY pipe smoker I have met in the flesh (not very many) swears by them...

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Eric. I have thought about the difference between the traditional brair and the metal shank pipes. The metal ones smoke drier and have a clean flavor for me. I think that the shank in the wood pipe holds a lot of moisture, tars etc. When cleaning a brair, there is a lot of junk in the shank after long use. I believe that the contaminated shank is the cause of souring and harsh taste. I do clean out the metal pipes, Kirsten and Viking,after every use. It does make for a good smoke.
They sure are ugly. My wife has reminded me of that fact often. :nana:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no desire to own one, not a fan of the look.
loneredtree, I agree that most times when a pipe turns sour or bad tasting is because the shank is dirty. I am a firm believer in being fastidious when it comes to cleaning my shanks. In my years of smoking I have never had a pipe go sour or start to taste funky. I use about 5 bristle cleaners for the shank after every smoke and then I do a deep clean with Everclear after 5-7 smokes. I have found this works well in keeping the pipe clean and good tasting.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
See, with a Falcon you just need to blow into the mouthpiece then swab out the humidome after a smoke.
Run a pipe cleaner through it every 5-10 smokes & you're good.
Just sayin'... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.