PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gentlemen,

I need your valued opinion about this Peterson at Smoking Pipes: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=137151
I realized I needed a straight billiard--I've been getting freehands lately--and a straight Peterson with a silver band is what I immediately thought of, and as luck would have it, this pipe appeared on searching SP. Does anyone know what "Irish Harp" connotes, btw? Also, in searching SP, I noticed that Peterson has numerous series. Any thoughts on these are welcome as well. Thanks for reading and your thoughts.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I like the look of the Harp series (but I don't own one). My only gripe is the fake cumberland stem. I could live with it, but still...
I can say I recently purchased this (cost is just a bit more):
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130533
Not going to be to everyone's taste, but it is a superb smoker I have to say.
Also, the Rosslare Royal series (not the Rosslare Classic series) is considered a higher grade Peterson. SP doesn't have any RR billiards right now, but James Fox has them and excellent prices too (though the photo you see isn't the one you'll get, so you may wish to ask them to examine it):
http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_13_22
I ordered my Royal 120 from them with no issues.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been looking at Peterson's myself, but that will have to wait for the new year. I think that is a really nice classic billiard done Peterson's way. The only thing I would caution you on is the weight of that pipe, 65gm is pretty heavy for a straight pipe, definitely not a clencher. If that's ok, then I say swing away.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the input. Six, the pipes you mentioned are a bit light colored for me--I like dark hues, I'm just that kind of guy :D--but what do you mean by "fake cumberland" stem? You can PM me about this if you wish. Do you mean because it's acrylic? This actually isn't a problem for me, and I don't understand why some smokers have a problem with acrylic. But again, thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm not a clencher, fortunately, so the weight is not a problem, but it is something I should think about. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My only second thought would be the weight. Billiards can be such great pipes with plenty of bowl at a light

weight. However I really like that thick-walled bowl, and actually the faux Cumberland stem will probably

last and look good longer than the real item. I'm a sucker for billiards that verge on pot shapes, like this.

I have a Luciano that has that trait, and it is wonderful in the hand. For billiards, you might also look at the

Chacom 185, a good big bowl in a modest sized pipe, balanced just right, and it comes in various finishes.

But I doubt you'd regret this Peterson, if it rings your chimes. Not bad at all.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Mso, thanks for your thoughts too. It's sounding like this would be a nice pipe to get for my smoking style, which doesn't involve a lot of clenching, and I like your comment about the wall, something that I didn't consciously consider but should, because I had to rid myself of a Ropp billiard once because the wall was simply too thin. And over the past few months since seriously taking up pipe smoking, I've discovered I like a nice thick wall and a stoutness in a pipe, not slender.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Both a Harp and Rosslare are on my "Honey, please, please, please" list. I'm also enamoured with the Outdoors series (Astrange has one posted).

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Peterson Pipes are wonderful Old School Classic shapes that I've always loved. If you are concerned about buying a Peterson with a Clear Bowl (no fills) you are best to ask before buying. The higher graded Peterson's should be without fills but not always. If fills are not an issue just go with your instinct on the shape you enjoy. As for stem preference, the acrylic stems won't tarnish but are a bit harder on your teeth. Again it's all personal preference. Good luck in your shopping. Whatever your choice, they are fine smoking pipes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I didn't realize a company like Peterson, or any other major pipe manufacturer, would allow any pipe to be sold with fills. I'll be sure to ask about this. Thanks for the tip.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I have the Irish Harp 02XL and at first I was like Six I was not fond of the fake Cumberland stem but in time it grew on me and now it is one of my favorite Pete's and is my best smoker out of my Peterson's . :puffpipe:

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I own a 1997 Aran 06, which is a bit longer, and it is and has been my favorite pipe since I broke it in. I say go for it, im actually curious about trying a Harp sries now. Perhaps a bit pricey for my range, but not by much....

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Instead of a Peterson, how about an A. Petersen?

http://www.apetersenpipes.com/

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Peterson are one of my favorites. The Harp are very nice pipes, that one looks heavy 2.30 oz. Gonna be nice stout pipe. But I have to go with SIX on this I have a 106 and seems like the right size. Just MO

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the input. Six, the pipes you mentioned are a bit light colored for me--I like dark hues, I'm just that kind of guy :D--but what do you mean by "fake cumberland" stem? You can PM me about this if you wish. Do you mean because it's acrylic?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I definitely understand wanting a darker stain.
The acrylic cumberlands have swirls meant to imitate a cumberland, and I honestly think they look nice in their own right - but it's sort of like laminate wood vs real wood - an acrylic stem is less maintenance and I happily own plenty of them but they lack a certain something compared to a genuine cumberland stem.
I think if you get a genuine cumberland stem some day, you will want more. :puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My first peterson is on its way, a system standard with fishtail bit. I had a pete years ago but it had the p-lip and I found it uncomfortable. Given the bad press petes have gotten lately I only considered a system because of its unique design, otherwise there are other estates for similar money as the non-system petes that I would rather own. But some of the non-system petes are really nice looking. I especially like the esthetics of the silver spigots, although I have heard some unfavorable accounts of the condensation and also them coming apart on their own. I've become more selective nowadays, as no matter how great a pipe looks and feels in the hand, it has to smoke well or what good is it?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have Four Petersons, two are Aran (268 Zulu & 606 Pot), one is a Rosslare 106 Billiard, and one is a "A Peterson Product" Shamrock 150 Bulldog.
All are great smokers, and fine pipes.
I do not believe you can go wrong with a Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.