PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Okay guys, I need your feedback. Sometimes when I open a tin, the first bowl is great and then things decline thereafter. After opening other tins, the first bowl is somewhat underwhelming but the tin improves with time. Other tins smoke great from the beginning to the last drop.
What is your ritual or procedure when opening a new tin of tobacco to obtain the best results?
Do you take off the lid and let it "air"? How long?
What do you mean when you say you "rest" your tobacco?
Do you have different procedures with different tobaccos?
Do you rub-out an entire tin of broken flake when opening and return it to the tin?
Do you leave tobacco in the opened tin or transfer it immediately to mason jars?
I am curious what you successful veterans do.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Am watching the question on leaving the tobacco in opened tin/tub or transferring it immediately to mason jars with interest. Was just about to posting a similar question. How long can it be held in an opened (but then closed) tin or tub without loosing quality?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
If the tin is metal I will jar it right after I pop it (and take a few good whiffs) and let it sit for an hour or two in the jar before the first smoke. I rub out flakes right before I smoke them, then let them sit and air out for a few minutes before I pack.
The GL Pease blends I tend to leave in the tin because they have that plastic lid that seems to keep the tobacco fresh long enough for me to smoke it all in a month or two.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
If I plan to smoke it up, I leave it in the tin. If I plan to stretch it out, into a jar it goes. If it is moist, no issues, if a little dry, I put a humidifier button in it. 100gram tins will get put into jars, since it takes longer to smoke em. I put a few bowls worth in a pouch or an empty tin with a plastic lid if I am going out and about. I have kept tins of Capstan Flake in the tin 3 weeks without issues, even in Arizona.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I open up a tin about a week before smoking it. Fluff up the tobacco to get some air in there and let it sit open for a short time. The tin then gets closed up until ready. If a tin is going to last you months, maybe transfering to a jar would be a good idea but I don't do that. For a flake or broke flake, I rub out several bowls worth and put into an old tin and dry it a bit if needed.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Do you take off the lid and let it "air"? How long?
I take the lid off, fluff up the insides a bit and let it stand around for 4-5 hours. Then I'll have a first taste :)
What do you mean when you say you "rest" your tobacco?
Keeping it in a mason jar for an extended length of time.
Do you have different procedures with different tobaccos?
The more humidified the product comes from the tin, the longer the airing out time.
Do you rub-out an entire tin of broken flake when opening and return it to the tin?
No. I stuff it in the mason jar as is. Flakes and broken flakes shall age in their original form.
Do you leave tobacco in the opened tin or transfer it immediately to mason jars?
I usually transfer after 1-2 days. Unless the blend is already quite dry, then I transfer immediately.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I like to have a LOT of options in my tobacco rotation! It may take me several months to use up a single tin, so for me it goes straight to a jar after opening. If I smoke 6 bowls a day, I'll probably want at least 4 of them to be different blends, same thing the next day. Therefor, I usually keep at least 20 different blends available at any given time, all in jars.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks guys for your responses!
I normally smoke 2-3 bowls per day, six days a week so I don't smoke up tobacco very quickly. If I pop a 50 gram tin, I leave it in the tin until it is smoked-up. If I pop a 100 gram tin, I transfer half of it to a mason jar and smoke-up the remainder.
I am more like Roth in that I usually prepare or dry my tobacco one bowl at a time. I have had to rethink this technique with McClelland Dark Star, which is really high maintenance in my book. I took a hint from a reviewer after getting a real poor quality (1 sour note) smoke on the second bowl. He suggested rubbing out the entire tin and placing it on wax paper for two days to dry before transferring it to mason jars for 2-3 days to "rest". I was desperate so I gave his method a try. Since I live in a low humidity climate, 24 hours was ample. The results were great. Go figure. Maybe I would have gotten the same results if I had let the tobacco "rest" in the tin for several months. I don't know, but his technique worked.
I think there are no right answers here. It is important to be able to size-up an individual tobacco and try another technique if your initial results are poor. Patience, and possibly experimentation, is the cornerstone of this hobby!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My procedures are as follows. If I am opening a tin that is one of my regulars, I open it and depending on the tin I will immediately cube cut enough for one bowl close the tin and then put the tin in one of my plastic containers that keep my tins fresh for months. If it is a blend that needs drying before smoking, I cube cut it and let it dry, again putting the tin back in it's plastic container.
If I am trying a tin for the first time, I will crack it, dry it if need be then smoke a bowl. If I feel it is something that needs more time or that I am not sure of, I will smoke it a few more times and after that if I am still not sure, I will put it away for a few months and then re visit. I never cut up an entire tin, I never dry an entire tin, I am like roth in that I prefer the ritual of one bowl at a time. I have never put my tobacco in the microwave, or the oven or under a lamp. I am very patient when it comes to my rituals and never rush the hands of time.
Here is a pic of the plastic containers that I use to store open tins, they are the opaque plastic ones with the white tops, the clear jars with the bail tops are for long term storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.