PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I've tried to open up an airway on a bent pipe before and failed miserably. Straightening out a bent stem made out of vulcanite, ebonite or the like is simple enough. I've used a heat gun to make the stem material pliable and the memory in the material helps to straighten itself out. Simple enough. The hang up I ran into was during the actual re drilling of the stem. Straightening a bent stem doesn't mean that the hole that was previously drilled in it is perfectly straight. Trying to work a wider drill bit though a straight stem with a wonky bore hole is disastrous. Cracks and breaks in the stem during the drilling process are inevitable and I have the broken stems to prove it.

My question is, how would I go about making sure the original bore on the straightened stem is perfectly straight so I can carefully get a wider diameter bit through the entire stem without breaking it?

I thought of putting a straight wire through the stem after the initial heat and straightening, applying more heat to the stem while carefully working the wire through. I'm thinking twice about this because it may warp the hole even more.

How do the pros do this correctly?

I have a pipe that's been laughing at me for years. I opened up the hole in the stummel and broke two stems while attempting to get this done. I'd like the practice of properly straightening a bent stem and widening the diameter of the hole. I would like my pipe's respect back and I would like to smoke it.

Any advice would be wholeheartedly appreciated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would use a drill bit roughly the same size as the bore to help straighten it instead of wire.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There are quite a few experienced pipe repairmen who won't touch airway enlargement, and consider those who do to be crazy and/or masochists. Why? There are LOTS of devilish details hiding in what looks---at first glance---like a dead-simple task.
The subject would fill a two-hour tutorial video, and that would just get you started.
So. Much better (more manageable) on a forum like this if you ask individual, specific questions that have short answers.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I am leery of saying this here as there are so many carvers and repair guys on this forum, but I would suggest getting in touch with Jesse Jones at Blue Room Briars. He has opened up several pipes for me and I am sure he could give you some ideas, or even do it for you if you like.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thank you all for the input. I wish I was closer to a good pipe repair person so I can get some lessons every once in a while as I'd like to be able to do these things myself. I am sort of a masochist. The greatest growth comes through pain. In the case of pipes, the pain is mental rather than physical.

I'll take this project again shortly and heed George's advice about individual shorter questions. I'll post them to this thread with pictures and hopefully we can end up with a thread that takes us through the whole process successfully... either that or we'll have a thread of broken stem pics and a reference for what not to do.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Needle files work well enough -- round ones for the main part of the draft hole and flat ones for the slot. You'll want to try to keep the filing as even as possible so that the draft hole remains round. When you think you've got it right, you'll want to polish the airway smooth again. You can do this by applying a bit of polishing compound or pipe polish (e.g. Brebbia) to a pipe cleaner and then running it through the stem until it's smooth again. Be careful not to apply lateral pressure against the walls of the draft hole because you can score it.

Status
Not open for further replies.