PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
Nice to see someone enjoy an older tin. Sorry you do not like the Black Shag. I think I have a couple tins of Black Shag hidden away that are ten years older then the Oriental you showed. I will have to dig them out and check the dates.

Aug 15, 2013
would you mind if i ask how long you think the videos should be? i used to do them for like 30 mins lol... but if its boring let me know

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Welcome and Congrats on the 10 y/o tin.
img_1161-600x400.jpg

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I'd say 5 minutes would do it for those of us with short attention spans. I have trouble watching anything beyond that and start skipping forward to see if I miss anything. Thank you for sharing!

I seem to look for the shortest possible videos when I am tooling around on youtube. Three minutes is plenty of time to pack in a ton of information. That is three times longer than the average commercial. Think about how long commercials seem to last. Just streamline. I am not one who wants to hear all of the extraneous stuff, but maybe folks that are more passionate about youtube like that. I'm not sure. I just know that my time is valuable, and I have other things I should be doing.

Just my $0.02

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You might check out the format of a nightly news report. They're repetitive, but effective: the big point which is the headline or teaser comes first, contrasting sub-points make up most of the format, then restate the big point and add a human interest dimension.

That's a great suggestion Death.

Also the way most programs will simplify is
This is what we are going to tell you...

Info...

This is what we just told you...

Break

This is what we told you before we left...

This is what we are going to tell you...

wash, rinse, repeat...
It's very over simplified, but most viewing audiences have the capacity of a gerbil, so it helps to edit for the gerbil brain.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Interestingly, that's also the format used by successful college papers.
1. State the idea.

2. Three points in support.

3. Re-state the idea with a twist.
I think good pop songs follow the same format, but with step #3 inverted: twist first, then repeat, then fade out...
I've been enjoying these videos by putting them on in the background like a podcast while I do other stuff. It's like talk radio.
I think they all need more death metal involved. And anyone named "Punk Rock Piper" will hopefully include some Cro-Mags in there with all the Biohazard and Agnostic Front influences.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While I think my personal attention span can handle a decent movie, oh, what's that over there? Shiny! Ooh look there's a new TV for sale....
Anyway, serious now, three minutes is a good target. Editing, cuts, graphics, voice overs all might be tools to shorten it up.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
My ears are still bleeding from the tinny opening music. But I'm glad the tobacco survived.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Lou Reed repeatedly said that a rock song should have no more than 3 chords.
Iggy Pop has said you should be able to tell your story in 25 words or less.
There is something to learn from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.