PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I just wanted to take a second to share a new (to me) discovery with you; namely the existence of free to download (Open) university courses and lectures on the iTunes Store in the iTunesU section of the store.
I listen to podcasts on my commute to and from work. I'm pretty certain that podcasts save lives, because they keep me from simmering wroth and bubbling anger while I am in bumper to bumper traffic. Yes, I have issues, I know. I have been enjoying podcasts from various public radio stations, and thanks to Shaintiques I just finished the audiobooks for the unabridged version of The Lord of The Rings trilogy (that was a GOOD tip Dave, those three books were wonderfully read).
Now, I'm really enjoying a lecture series from David Blight on the US Civil War & Reconstruction Era. The nice thing about the open courses I've found so far, is that not only are the podcasts of the lectures available, but course materials and syllabuses are also freely available so I can now go source the reading if I am so inclined... although reading and commuting might be a stretch.
Anyway, I wanted to share this with you fine folks. I know there are more than a few of you who spend a lot of time in the car, and thought you might appreciate a different diversion.
Here is the link to the class I'm enjoying at the moment: http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-119
-- Pat

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Dude that rocks. Now what about the LOTR books being read to me? I could be smoking my pipe and listening instead of reading it myself.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Dan, on a recommendation from Shaintiques I purchased the audiobooks of the unabridged versions of The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, all read by Robert Inglis. They are wonderful. The CDs are available through Amazon and other places. I downloaded the books from iTunes.
Here is a link to many of the different Tolkien audiobooks; I would highly recommend any of the books read by Inglis.
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/tolkienaudiobooks.htm
-- Pat

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Sweet man, I just may do that. I would read more if someone else was doing the reading :D

mzpuff

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto
Check out LibriVox. This is a huge collection of audio books (mainly the classics). They are read by volunteers and are FREE. I had eye surgery last year and spent many hours listening to pass the time. Enjoy. There are apps for downloading conent, and for listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.