PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
So I went a little crazy when McClelland’s went bust and ordered 15 tins of various blends. Normally I would pace these things and make small orders and then Canadian Customs would end up hitting every second shipment or so. This time it all came in two shipments a few days apart, one large and one giant order, the large order went through customs without duty, the giant order, well not so much. So my wife went to check the mail today and she gets a delivery notice with a staggering customs bill attached!
Awkward! Amazingly she was very understanding about it. She is awesome!
To be honest, I was more shocked than her

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am so scared of European customs, I don't even dare order American pipe tobacco :roll:

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Just over $600
Let’s just say the credit card is not looking so good.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I am so scared of European customs, I don't even dare order American pipe tobacco
European tobacco is expensive when you buy in Europe, it is so heavily taxed already that I dare not order from Europe because once the Canadians add their own layer of tax on top it is something fierce.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I used to work for an outfit in the U.S. that attended scientific meetings in Toronto to which we sent cartons of publications. We hired a customs broker to navigate customs. Otherwise, we were told, the publications would never arrive, would arrive months after the meeting, or would accrue vast customs charges. With a broker, they arrived on time and at cost acceptable to our stingy overseers. These were health related items, so go figure. Meantime, I loved Toronto, with its black squirrels, great art museum, and Cuban cigars. It was a rare pleasure to be among people who actually realized I was being polite -- in the U.S. that's usually regarded a submissive.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm curious--are you required to pay the bill or can you have the order sent back to the US (with you paying the shipping)? If you're not obligated, you might be able to get a refund since the tins are unopened and you'd only be out shipping charges.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
There is way I am sending those tins back! Balkan Blue, Frog Morton cellar, irreplaceable! No the credit card will just have to suffer.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
There is way I am sending those tins back! Balkan Blue, Frog Morton cellar, irreplaceable! No the credit card will just have to suffer.
You might even try to sell a few on ebay just to recoup your expenses! :lol:

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Barepipe, just wondering how many tins you ordered (or ounces) that got you charged the $600. I'm in NB here and recently had a package assessed so I'm looking for comparison sake. And was that all in duties or were there other fees (I assume the obligatory $10 handling fee of course).

Dec 24, 2012
Ouch. Fell for you brother. I hope you didn't choose the "super saver" shipping option. My experience is that is a customs magnet. In a Canadian forum I am on, we actually ran a test and choosing the super save option pretty much resulted in a near certainty that customs would be levied.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So far US pipe smokers haven't been hit by taxes, buying from US etailers. Some states won't allow shipping to to their residents. And buying from Europe, we don't pay VAT, nor do US customs find tobacco and tax it. Only McClelland has been shut down, but the reason for that includes other factors such as tobacco availability. But when deeming arrives in 2021, along with other FDA regulation, such as nicotine, we will then feel the hand of the antis, both for what they regulate, but also for their actions rippling into other areas, none of which can we predict today. They may choose to regulate pipes!
Already in the last years credit card processors have summarily dropped tobacco transactions. Maxim at pipes2smoke had production of his blends stopped. The climate for tobacco and related items has already become more or less problematic, and this will continue, all part of the antis well-coordinated strategy to eliminate tobacco. But in this I was cheered that 12,000 y/o tobacco seeds were recently found in US sites. It makes me think tobacco will endure.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@mso489
It was a rare pleasure to be among people who actually realized I was being polite -- in the U.S. that's usually regarded a submissive.
Has that been your experience? For me the reaction has been more of shocked surprise. People here in Oregon are pretty nice though. The further you go away from the cities you more you will encounter civility and displays of hospitality.

Status
Not open for further replies.