PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/01/03/philip-morris-marlboro-wants-give-up-cigarettes-go-smoke-free/1001442001/
Guess they're making their first decision, after raking over the up and coming little guy with the help of big Government.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I wonder how this will affect tobacco farmers and tobacco available to our market. The article say they are going in the direction of vaping for those who didn't want to read the article. Tobacco quality and variety is probably unimportant for the vaping industry. In fact GMO tobacco is probably what they will support, similar to the way GMO corn is used to make corn syrup.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Oh! So a multibillion business is willing to fade away? I don't think so. Reminds me of when Coca-Cola said they weren't going to make Coke, I think before it was called"Classic Coke," and now they've got a dozen or so formulas. So when they confessed they were lying as a scam, their earnings increased.
PM is lying, for the money, which for corporate pigs is just good business.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I think the big picture is the Crony Lobbyist and the Cigarette Manufacturers teamed up against smaller businesses(Vaping) to squash competition. Using Government to pick winners. Typical Cronyism. We've seen it since the dawn of the American Progresssive Era.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Saltedplug you are right though, they'll make some money one way or the other. Who knows, you might be buying Philip Morris luggage in a few years.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Some of you have to read the article. It is not going to fade away. This issue has been brought up a while ago by PM and they have even changed the look of their website with a similar motto to the one above back then. They are not saying that they are going to stop selling tobacco, they are going to cease selling the 'old-fashioned tobacco', because it is harmful. The company says: "We’re trying to give up cigarettes." First of all they are not giving up, but trying to give up. Secondly, they are not trying to give up the tobacco, but the cigarettes. It is not a tobacco-free, but a smoke-free future for them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They are not saying that they are going to stop selling tobacco, they are going to cease selling the 'old-fashioned tobacco', because it is harmful. The company says: "We’re trying to give up cigarettes." First of all they are not giving up, but trying to give up. Secondly, they are not trying to give up the tobacco, but the cigarettes. It is not a tobacco-free, but a smoke-free future for them.
True...mostly anyway. But, IMO, what they've been selling for a long time now has not actually been "old-fashioned tobacco" but some kind of processed tobacco flavored chemical product that they stuff into paper tubes.
The "new" product is exactly the same thing, except it's designed "for heating, not smoking". Whatever this "tobacco plug" actually is that gives off "nicotine vapor" is more than likely a stew of chemicals of some kind.
Anyway, whatever it is, I'm not interested.
From their website:
The heated tobacco unit contains a uniquely processed tobacco plug designed for heating, not for smoking.

The tobacco plug is made from tobacco leaves, which are ground and re-constituted into tobacco sheets, called cast-leaf. These sheets are then crimped and made into a tobacco plug.

https://www.pmi.com/smoke-free-products/iqos-our-tobacco-heating-system
The "grinding, reconstituting, and turning into cast-leaf sheets" turns it into something that I do not consider to be tobacco. And sounds like the same process they currently use to make cigarettes.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
True...mostly anyway. But, IMO, what they've been selling for a long time now has not actually been "old-fashioned tobacco" but some kind of processed tobacco flavored chemical product that they stuff into paper tubes.
When I said "old-fashioned tobacco" I didn't mean old old-fashioned, like the one from farm into your corn cob pipe (there is no such tobacco today), but an old-fashioned from their point of view.
some kind of processed tobacco
It is actually some kind of processed tobacco mixed with some shredded papers that have been sprayed with tobacco juice.
Tobacco Process

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
When I said "old-fashioned tobacco" I didn't mean old old-fashioned, like the one from farm into your corn cob pipe (there is no such tobacco today), but an old-fashioned from their point of view.
Yeah, I understood that's what you meant. I was just pointing out that their "process" was never old fashioned tobacco. OFT to me is simply what we have with premium pipe blends and cigars. And yes I know there is still a process involved in producing that, but you still have actual tobacco at the other end of it.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Philip Morris is claiming to devote the resources they've made from cigarettes to promoting laws that ban the sale of cigarettes.

philipmorris1-600x52.jpg

philipmorris.jpg

pics from these links

https://www.pmi.com/who-we-are/designing-a-smoke-free-future

https://www.pmi.com/who-we-are/our-goal-and-strategies

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
It's a good thing our government is honest with laws and money.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/09/nyt-report-atfs-secret-bank-account-part-of-widespread-cigarette-scheme/

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I love the idea of a Monopoly, but there can be no bail outs. Make bad business decisions, pay the damn price.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ I'm assuming you mean free market monopolies. Are there really any of those? Most seem to be created by using the power of government to squelch the competition.
Apparently now they want a monopoly on their new freakish nicotine vaping apparatuses by prohibiting others from selling cigs.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
PM doesn't need our market any more for tobacco. Other countries smoke their tobacco products much more heavily, they can invest in tobacco sales there with fewer issues and position to reinvent their image here.

Status
Not open for further replies.