PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
This could be a problem for us in Ontario who import........
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2014/11/24/ontario_bans_flavoured_tobacco_cracks_down_on_ecigarettes.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I lived there I'd cultivate my taste (further) for non-aromatics. But of course, who knows what

legislators will target next. I've been spending time at a large research hospital accompanying my

wife through some surgery and tobacco is forbidden throughout, inside and out. I guess you can smoke

on the public sidewalk that runs past the building on a technicality. Of course, indoors, there are oxygen

tanks and volatile medicines, and no one should be smoking anyway. But no bench outdoors for puffers,

nay-nay-nay.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I wonder, is Haddo's an aromatic tobacco? Is Frog Morton Cellar an aromatic tobacco? Are Lakeland tobacco's "aromatic?" Is any pipe tobacco with ANY topping an aromatic tobacco?
Or is NOTHING that is destined for use in a pipe "aromatic tobacco?"

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
They have passed a similar law in Alberta, to take affect June 1, 2015. However, they have exempt menthol cigs, but everything else is fair game (chew, shisha and flavored cigars). There is however no mention of pipe tobacco, and when I asked my tobacconist, their response was until someone tells them to take something off the shelf, it will be business as usual.
All that being said, I have searched high and low for the official definition of "flavored tobacco" to no avail. Hopefully there is some kind of loop hole in this lack of clarity.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
This has nothing to do with Federal policy - it's only in Ontario - right now. They are using the e-cig flavoured vapour as a way to also ban menthol flavoured cigerattes and that's where the "flavoured tobacco ban" is causing me concern as we don't know what else they will include in that description. There's no extra tax being introduced - its a outright ban.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My understanding is that it is a very poorly thought out attempt to get rid of flavored cigarettes and cigar such as "Primetime" and "Blunts". Flavored cigarettes like Primetime are becoming very popular with younger people, I have seen on several occasions teenagers turned away at my local B+M trying to buy them. I honestly don't know how it will affect us pipe smokers but I'm hoping that since pipe smokers and pipe tobacco were overlooked in the writing of the law hopefully we'll be overlooked in the enforcing of it?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Gosh, maybe we could get a warning on the warning on ours already.
All I need, is for the government to look out for me, a little more. :rofl:

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
This would be very difficult to enforce for mail order. The worst thing that could happen is that vendors will refuse to ship to Ontario. I'm going to start stocking up just in case, things are getting ridiculous here.

Status
Not open for further replies.