PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I have been doing a lot of reading on many different blends of tobacco to try but am wondering where do you guys/gals usually like to get your tobacco from online? I don't have a place anywhere near me that sells lots of different blends so I am kind of stuck buying from online. One in-particular I am looking to try is the Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake tobacco. I heard that stuff is like honey. I am new to the tobacco world and would certainly appreciate any recommendations of where I can get good quality, great priced, reliably shipped tobacco. Thanks!
Cheers,

Jared

mgvsquared

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
I personally try to support the smaller companies, so I do most of my online tin buying at smokingpipes, but I also do the Pipes and Cigars Pipe Tobacco of the Month club, which I may end up cancelling soon anyway. I do also like Russ' monthly blends over at P&C as well.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Pipes and Cigars has the best selection of bulk tobacco and is a hair cheaper. P&C also has some blends by Russ Oulette that no one else has. Smoking pipes has a little better selection of tins and tends to get new tobaccos faster. They both have great customer service. I order more from Pipes and Cigars because they have pipe cleaners a lot cheaper and I have many pounds of tobacco, but am constantly running low on pipe cleaners.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have good results with pipes and cigars. Good selection, reasonable pricing and excellent service. The only complaint I've ever had was with some bulk tobacco I ordered. I don't order that kind of tobacco there anymore but all else has been excellent.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I have found that 4noggins is great to deal with online and I have never had issues with them. Welcome to the forums and the hobby!

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have been doing business with smokingpipes.com since it was a one man operation. Great company and great prices. I am amazed how much they have grown including purchasing c&d tobacco.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I personally try to support the smaller companies, so I do most of my online tin buying at smokingpipes, but I also do the Pipes and Cigars Pipe Tobacco of the Month club, which I may end up cancelling soon anyway. I do also like Russ' monthly blends over at P&C as well.
That Pipe Tobacco of the Month club sounds like a great idea to try new stuff every month. How have you liked it and what plan did you do? I looked at it and think the deluxe plan sounds like a good deal.
Cheers,

Jared

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
All of the above as well as Boswell and Sons, and Milan Tobacconists. They are all good and have their fine points. I order most from P&C. Good luck and have fun. :puffy:

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I've only ordered from P&C. I'd been buying my D&R Ryback from them, and it was actually browsing around the site that made me curious enough to finally decide to give pipe smoking a try. I've had nothing but excellent transactions with them. The prices are good, and the service is excellent.
I have not ordered from Smoking Pipes yet, but I will be doing so eventually. I really admire their site, and appreciate their added features (e.g. the blog). I've heard nothing but good things about them in terms of service, and prices are competitive. The next new pipe I buy will most likely be purchased from them. The one thing that has had me exclusively ordering from P&C so far are some of the Hearth & Home blends and Russ Oulette bends that I enjoy. Smoking pipes has many of them, but not all of them, and not in all sizes.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
Pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com are the two biggies. Plus Boswell's has great blends that are now in my top five. Recently I've discovered another great blend from Milan Tobacco's that's ialso in my top five. Colonial Past Time is a very interesting blend: Part Latakia and part aromatic.
Boswell's has a new blend that is very good, as well. Their latest is "Titus" and is very good. I've been smoking a pipe for three years and this whole timei I've been searching and searching for tobacco's to call my "go to." This year I've found three I absolutely love. Lucky me
Oh, and I just tried a new tin of "The Mind Meld" from Russ and Mike and I love it, I am on a roll.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Just ordered a couple of ounces of Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake tobacoo and signed up for P&C's Pipe Tobacco of the Month Club. Very excited to try out new blends and get my monthly cob in the mail now! :mrgreen:
Cheers,

Jared

mgvsquared

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
That Pipe Tobacco of the Month club sounds like a great idea to try new stuff every month. How have you liked it and what plan did you do? I looked at it and think the deluxe plan sounds like a good deal.
I think it's great for sorting out what you do and don't like. I do Deluxe, but I'm quickly realizing that while aromatics are nice I, personally, find myself reaching for something else. I'll try the bulk aromatics they send, but I have quite a few tins that I still haven't even cracked. I'm starting to smoke more and more non aros. After I learned how to consistently retrohale, the flavor game changed for me. I might scale back to the non aro shipment. I can see the inherent value in ~4 oz of tobacco for 15 bucks shipped, but it's all random, so once you narrow down what kinds of tobacco you like, the novelty of random tobacco every month wears off...at least for me it does.
YMMV I guess. My two pennies. :)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Right, so P&C and SPC are out of the way. This might be a good time to shine a spotlight on some of the smaller guys that bring something different, and perhaps mo betta to the hobby.
such as:
Blenders/shops:
LJ Peretti

Watch City Cigar

Pipeworks and Wilke

Gatlinburlier

JM Boswell

GQ Tobaccos
Pipeshops
Al Pascia

Danish Pipeshop

Lepipe.it

Pfeifenkonsulat.at

Bisgaard

Jamesfox.ie

Synjeco.ch

brashboy

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
Also:
4Noggins.com (again)

Uhle Tobacco Co.

Park-Lane Tobacconists (like the prices)

House of Calabash

Rich's Cigar Store

Finck's Cigar Co.
For vintage tobaccos you cannot beat Steve Fallon's Pipestud.com

I support small businesses and agree 100% with Bigpond's suggestions. I order from 4noggins exclusively. Rich is a fabulous person. Same with pipes as well, my personal estates are majorly from Mike @ BriarBlues, forum friends here and exceptional vendors on ebay who are also members of Pipesmagazine. I do have a business relationship with Laudisi Distribution Group to import C&D,GLP and other blends in their catalog to India for my little webstore. I have also bought pipes from SmokingPipes but primarily for my ex-fiancee or if something rare is on sale on their store. Sykes is standup gentleman and I think his company is the only "big" brand I support. STG gave me a cold shoulder on all fronts for their 200+ brand catalog. I was offered only Captain Black and Borkum Riff for sale through their distributor in India. Nothing wrong in that, just felt cold and clinical with them. On the other hand Sykes and his team helped me a lot with my queries and offered their entire Catalog for import to India.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to buy at PC and SPC, but have enjoyed blends from 4noggins, Iwan Ries, and Cup O Joes. I try to buy from my local independent shop, especially for some standard bulk blends. Tinder Box locally can't compete with online prices, but I have bought bulk there from time to time. 4noggins and Iwan Ries have blends you simply can't get elsewhere. And of course, PC has Russ, and SPC has Low Country blends.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
The gamut has been pretty much covered, but let me say J.M.Boswell & Son is top notch, as are Pipeworks and Wilke and Iwan Ries and 4Noggins.
Iwan Ries has a Va slice that is just out of this world good.
Enough from me.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
P&C have the WORST quality control when selling pipes. I know of at least 4 people that ordered from them in the past 14 months and were shipped either the wrong pipe, a damaged pipe or a "used" pipe.

I go to them for tobacco only, when it comes to pipes, SP or Pulvers Briars.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I've gone and bookmarked all the sellers above so that I have a good amount of choices to buy from!
Cheers,

Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.