PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
I have only been purchasing for a few months now, but looking to place an order soon and it seems like all the websites are out of stock or backordered on what seems like all tobacco. I know that is an overstatement but all the blends I am looking to purchase - I am unable. Is this because people seem to be stocking up and cellaring or is this a normal rotation I am unaware of?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You made the overstatement, now be a bit more specific. What blends are you looking for? No retailer in his right mind is going to keep a large supply of many individual blends on hand, ties up too much money. Just for grins I checked IRC, they appeared to be fully stocked.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It happens from time to time. Especially when a blend is favorited on a forum. Then there's a mad dash to buy it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
randelli.jpg
Isn't that Randelli's avatar?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Pipes and cigars is a bit low on bulk blends right now because of the sale, but I’ve been able to get most of what I’ve wanted with a little search and some back ordering. Rattray’s blends being the exception, but I got some found.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
Warren, been looking for Solani ABF, almost anything Samuel Gawith, Wessex Burley Slice, Rattray's Old Gowrie, G.L Pease Maltese Falcon or Quiet Nights, and of course Esoterica (not expecting this one) - to name a few. I checked IRC as well and none of these were available. That made me think it is either cellaring or maybe a cycle the industry is going through. Or is this post McClelland where people are looking for new blends to try.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Depends on the blend. Wessex, Rattrays, Sam Gawith all come in cycles. GL pease is usually always available but with the factory move there could be an interruption. Most STG produced blends are usually always in stock, same with Macbaren. It’s the smaller blenders that come in waves. That being said, if there’s a blend I like that isn’t always around I’ll buy multiples to keep on hand until the next shipment.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
At some point, I have to believe this out of stock situation will resolve itself. I don't think many of us are smoking it anywhere as fast as we've been buying it lately. With the McClelland and Dunhill announcements and looming FDA regs people of have gone a bit crazy with the hoarding for their cellars or to make a quick profit on eBay. Inventory your cellar tobacco and total up the weight. It's really helped me to reign in my TAD. I used an Android app called Memento database. There are several tobacco templates to download and modify to your needs.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I like pipe tool. I use it just to keep track of my cellar, though it has many features I haven’t tried.

Also, i export it to excel whenever I update it, just in case the gods of the internet disappear it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought a little re-supply of bulk blends some weeks ago, but I haven't done any binge buying. I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I think I have enough for some years ahead, and I don't expect the market to disappear altogether, nor the prices to skyrocket. I tend to buy more than I smoke over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.