PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
As I am just having a blast returning to my pipe smoking... I was sitting out in the garage this morning puffing away and I had a thought.... scarey I know.. but work with me. If you woke up on a deserted island and you could only have ONE PIPE.. and ONE TOBACCO.. what would those be???? Reason I am asking... I have over a dozen tins sitting here.. some are great.. some are good.. some well.. interesting to be polite.. But while I have a fair selection of both briar and cob pipes as you can see in my little picture... I am yet to find that perfect pipe that I can smoke ALL DAY every day... without worry about rotating.. and the perfect tobacco... with the same effect. As I struggle to give up cigarettes and stick with just my pipe... I thought I would reach out to all of you here to get some comments. So... without further delay.... what would be your ONE PIPE ( you will smoke it every day.. several times a day ) and your ONE TOBACCO ( It is all you will have from sun up to sun down) and a brief explenation for your choice.

Thanks in advance for your comments as I always look forward to learning more each day.

Cheers

Mike

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
Sea Turtles Mate... A pair of them strapped to my feet. 8O

Thanks for the link Trailboss... but the replies did not seem to address a hard working pipe... I know I can smoke my cobs day in day out.. but just wanted to see if others have a better pipe suggestion. Oh and this is a deserted Tropical Island.. so no sun screen needed as there are plenty of palm trees about.

Cheers

Mike

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
but the replies did not seem to address a hard working pipe...
Ah not so...that’s one of the reasons I said I’d choose the Baki meer in my avatar in the other thread...no problem smoking it all day every day.
And may you somehow make it ashore with plenty of dry matches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPSRW45Obv0

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
Doing some research on those meerschaum pipes.. I have a sherlock holmes style calabash.. but its not pure meerschaum only the insert is.... how strong would a pure block meerschaum be .. say an apple of billiard style pipe??? Just wondering about the durability... it appears to be a light material just wondering how durable.

Cheers

Mike

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Meers of a certain quality often come with a form-fitted hard case. Take the case to the island with you.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I would smoke Dunhill Nightcap and I definitely agree with a meerschaum pipe. And it would have to be a calabash, might as well since it's the only one I can have. Then it can double as a cup. The meerschaum insert would be from African meer since it's more durable.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
I love these kinds of threads. I would have my Joe Case Dagner Slayer pipe and would be smoking Frog Morton Cellar.

Of course that could change tomorrow.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I would take my "Bell" meerschaum carved by F. Baki, and "For Meerschaums Only Reserve" blended by Steven Books. That meer would color real well :)

Dec 24, 2012
If Harris was stuck on an island, he would name his massive kidney stone Wilson and have conversations with it. Just a hunch.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
how strong would a pure block meerschaum be .. say an apple of billiard style pipe??? Just wondering about the durability... it appears to be a light material just wondering how durable.
In terms of strength and durability, the only difference between briar and a meer is a meer will likely break if dropped on a hard surface. So I’d just say for anyone who is in the habit of dropping pipes, perhaps a meer is not for you.
Some will caution on handling meers because they’re very absorbent, but personally I don’t worry about it...I just try to handle them with clean hands.

If it's a tropical island, I'd want Astley's 109 and a cob. If it was more temperate, I'd want GLP's Laurel Heights and Nording Valhalla straight. If we're talking a very cold island, give me Dark Star and a heavy Nording Freehand. I would have said a Savinelli, but I would need a crap load of balsas. In any case, I'd want a pocketknife too, to carve me another pipe in case something weird happened.

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
Boswell poker and a boatload of Boswell's Country Side. But like others have said, that could change tomorrow.

Aug 1, 2012
For the pipe, I would go with my Tinsky Morta since it will take multiple bowls without blinking. Morta is a better choice over meer for me because it has similar dry-smoking and neutral properties without being as fragile or as fussy about cleaning. The major morta minus? Price. A quality one will set you back in the ballpark of $300-700.
Now the tobacco is a hard one. If I were forced to pick one, mine would be Butera Pelican because it is such a yummy, nicely-balanced blend that is a good all-day smoke for me. The drawback? Availability. I have one source that might still have some right now but aside from that it is a real bugger to find.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This is easy!
My pipe: The Radice bent egg shown in the photo to the left.

My tobacco: Esoterica Penzance.
BTW, don't forget the lifetime supply of pipe cleaners!
Bob

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My answer to this question probably changes on a weekly basis, but at the moment I'd have to say my Nording "925" Silver Series straight sandblasted billiard, and McClelland Blue Mountain.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Most likely one of my Brighams, probably the 426 chinook, and McClelland Beacon or Peterson University Flake. The pipe may change after I get the Trypis I ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.