PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I know she sure could be polarizing, but she usually said what everyone else was thinking. A pioneer in comedy, and been on the go for a long time. At 81 more energy than me, that's for sure, and could easily make fun of herself.

I'm not always a fan of her humor, but sometimes she could be crazy funny. My wife and I will miss her lampooning the fashion world on her show "Fashion Police".

Jan 8, 2013
First Robin Williams, now Joan Rivers. Both very interesting, and funny, people in their own right. They will be missed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, specific jokes of Joan's were too acid for me, but I felt she was a tremendously hard worker. When she

was on stage, or even in an interview, you were getting material right and left, and she did impromptu humor

with great skill. I won't mention names -- everyone has a favorite -- but some of the night show hosts milk

seven minutes of humor for an hour, with lots of eye takes and ritualistic gestures, and minute for minute

aren't that funny. Pick your own bad example. But Joan was a tough act, wall-to-wall material, a fierce and

unrelenting writer, with a great sense of timing. Again, not my favorite, and sometimes rude and too hard,

but someone I respected as a writer and performer. RIP, Joan; you could make me laugh.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
But Joan was a tough act, wall-to-wall material, a fierce and

unrelenting writer, with a great sense of timing. Again, not my favorite, and sometimes rude and too hard,

but someone I respected as a writer and performer. RIP, Joan; you could make me laugh.
Well said. The thing that made Joan Rivers unique in my eyes was that she was truly fearless and offended who she wanted, when she wanted, and didn't apologize afterwards. She understood comedy. In an age where people are offended by every little stereotype and misspoken word, she just hung her jokes out there; sometimes they offended, sometimes not. She will be missed.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I'm fairly sure that she would be the first person to make fun of herself, in that 'strike at the heart of a tender issue in a polarizing' way about humor that only Rivers could pull off. I spent most of the trying to figure out how she would have joked about her own death. I regret that I will never know exact what she would say, and no more shal we hear the trademark
"Oh ohhhh!"

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Great interviews on 5he Ron and Fex show.

Ron Bennington...interview master.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
One more talented humorist gone from our midst .I remember seeing her perform live in the 60's. She said she went to the high school of "perpetual guilt." Funny stuff!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Never knew she was a comedian. All I ever saw or heard of her was the red carpet stuff on E! in the 90s. Didn't really care for her much. Never found her too funny. Much more of an Adam Sandler, Eddie Izzard, Ron White kind of guy when it comes to comics. I'm sure her family friends and fans will miss her though.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Never knew she was a comedian. All I ever saw or heard of her was the red carpet stuff on E! in the 90s. Didn't really care for her much. Never found her too funny. Much more of an Adam Sandler, Eddie Izzard, Ron White kind of guy when it comes to comics. I'm sure her family friends and fans will miss her though.
go to YouTube and watch some of her on the Carson show

Aug 14, 2012
There are people who believe that the Obama administration may be responsible for her death, and that what she said about them shortly before dying may be true.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I grew up watching her Carson stuff. She was wild, but not too vulgar in that venue. I respect her wit GREATLY and will miss her a lot. She had a ton of brass.
This makes two of the best improv comics in history gone. Hope the rule of 3 is not in effect.
I also loved Diller and Winter. I LOVED Steve Allen as well. That man just rocked!
But apparently I was wired with a certain amount of risque... I loved Laugh In reruns too, and I am only 43. lol

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
She seemed to get very bitter after she botched up her attempt to take over from Carson. Her Red Carpet and Fashion Police shows were just exercises in vitriol.

Status
Not open for further replies.