PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
So I started smoking pipe exactly one month ago today. I joined the forum a few days later while researching a used pipe I purchased. I was greeted by lots of friendly people and received some great advice. I also was warned by several members about something called Pipe Addiction Disease (PAD) as they told me to proceed with caution.
I wanted to share that I'm thoroughly enjoying my new relaxing hobby. I'm also happy to report that I am completely PAD free after my first month! I'm optimistic that I'll avoid the disease that so many of you suffer from. As proof here's a picture of my small and humble collection that I've put together over the last 4 weeks.
zqlbkEx.jpg

I'm just curious if the forum hands out some sort of pin or coin for being PAD free for a month? If so could someone please PM with me with contact info to collect my trinket?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're off to a fine start, Bernie, but if you think you're done then there are about 5,000 members here who will tell you otherwise. Save your post and recheck it in a year. You'll be amazed.

Glad you are having fun here and with your pipes.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
A real nice set up you have going there. You have enough to keep you going for a while. I love how particular you were setting up this picture too. I do wonder how many pipes one must buy in a month to be en-wrapped in PAD. Three pipes in a month sorta qualifies in my book. I just bought my 6th in seven months so I am not one to really say. Speaking of which, is that an XL02 Peterson? I have one in a Shannon finish. It was my first and is one of my favorites still.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
It's a Peterson Aran (03) P-Lip. After my first pipe purchase which I picked up at a local tobacco store I started researching brands and was intrigued by Peterson's standard system so I ordered the aran. Little did I know at the time that not all Peterson's came with their standard system. To help newbs like me perhaps Peterson should start calling it their "optional" system. 8) I'll definitely be purchasing another Peterson as I love how the p-lip smokes and I really want to own one of their standard systems. There are a few other pipe makers I want to try first so my next Peterson purchase will have to wait.
As far as the placement goes I have to admit I have a little OCD in certain aspects of my life. It was interesting to me to lay everything out and realize what I picked up over the last 4 weeks. I agree with papipeguy...it may be scary to look back on my collection in another 11 months.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
bernie2.

I think you doing great. When I look back I started my first month buy 7 pipes and 10 plus sample tobacco.

I'm in about 7 momths now and 12 pipes and some tobacco. Only the problem to me I do chasing more and more tobaccos.

I want to try this and that and........

Well done and keep your line. Most of all enjoy your happy smoking many many years.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Bernie
That is a beautifully organized picture. I could use of that OCD stuff in my life.
If you stay with this hobby, PAD will come quickly enough, followed by TAD if that doesn't hit you first.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Very nice. Nice looking pipes and a great photo. You are off to a terrific start.
Quick, get some mason jars. Though the bags from the Smoking Pipes are better than a sandwich bag, you need some jars if you are going to keep those tobaccos in good shape. For starters, I'd recommend 8 oz jars. They comfortably hold 2 oz of tobacco. I know, you only have a few tobacco blends, what are you going to do with a whole case of mason jars? Trust me. You need them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It will happen, sooner or later. You will see a pipe that you can't take your eyes off of, then Pipe Acquisition Disorder has its teeth in you. :mrgreen:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I feel that I have beaten PAD every time I buy a new pipe, that it will be my last for a while. Now I smoke 3-4 bowls a day so I need a few more pipes then 3 in my rotation but I'm up to over 20 so I think im covered.....Then I try a new blend, walk into my B&M, or read a post on here. Last week my PAD was at a complete stop, then my guy at my B&M showed me an unsmoked early 70's Charatan..... In original box with sock. Now I have it I am good..... Then he told me that he is putting out his very first line of pipe...... A St.Paddy's day no less...... I'm first on the waiting list. PAD is a passion, a search for that beautiful instrument that will provide that perfect smoke, not a disorder and thinking you've beat it is denial my friend. Lol Great start though.

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Welcome to the madness. My post count may not look high but I have been around here for just over a year. I took up the pipe in November of 2013 and I currently have around 100 pipes not counting what I have sold (stupid mistake). The force will hit you and you will try to fight it, but sadly like soooo many others on here you won't be able to. Embrace the dark side.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Atta boy, Bernie!
Nice start to what I do hope you build into quite a herd of briar once PAD returns. It is an incurable disease. Sorry. :wink:

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My brain tells me that one pipe was enough, let along the several that I now own.
But my heart keeps saying one more, and I have found it NEVER stops saying it.
It is nice to know I am not alone, great looking start you got there!

Now I want a St. Patrick's Peterson, thanks for reminding me.
This is really just crazy, crazy.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
As always...thanks for the feedback. Sounds like some mason jars are in order.
Does anyone vacuum seal their tobacco in mason jars? My wife has a foodsaver vacuum sealer that sits on our kitchen counter all the time. Foodsaver makes mason jar lids that are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. Would that help or is it unnecessary?
Thanks!

Mar 1, 2014
PAD is about more than the quantity.
I haven't bought a pipe since November, but I look at every Nording that goes through Smokingpipes.com, and every Ashton, and half the Savinelli's, and recently I looked at pipes from every maker on there (I wish Smokingpipes would let you search by pipe specs), and it seems like every time a new batch comes in I'm struggling not to hit the purchase button (I've seen some nice ones come and go).

The only thing holding me back is knowing that if I buy another pipe that's one more pipe that I'll have to smoke instead of the wonderful Ashton, Ferndown, Nording and assorted Vauen pipes that I already own.
And yet, rare as they may be, I also know that there will be pipes more attractive than the ones I have, and like a predator stalking a rabbit hole, I will be there when it arrives.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Does anyone vacuum seal their tobacco in mason jars? My wife has a foodsaver vacuum sealer that sits on our kitchen counter all the time. Foodsaver makes mason jar lids that are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. Would that help or is it unnecessary?
Try it and find out... :D
Based on what I've read on other threads regarding mason jars, the use of a vaccum sealer is probably overkill, and would not help if you're trying to age a blend in the jar. But if you want to preserve a particular blend as is, it could work...

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the constructive feedback. I ordered a few mason jars today.
I'm close to wining another 4 or 5 pipe auctions on eBay. Apart from that I have one custom commission pipe I'm working on. After that I'm sure I'm done with pipe purchases forever.
No PAD here. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.