PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Arnolds Park is an amusement park in Spirit Lake, Ia. It has the historic wooden roller coaster ride called the Legend, as well as the usual assortment of carnival rides and midway treats like funnel cakes, foot longs, fried-everythings, and ice cream huts. Three hours in, on a hot, humid day, I was looking for a place to sit. And if I found a place that permitted it (can't smoke in the park), I would have a pipe.
The parking lot, right outside the park and alongside it, is surrounded by flower gardens and benches. Dang it if none of them were in the shade. Oh well. And there was a big setup of "trailer stores" on the far edge of "Cool Biker Stuff" -- the actual words of the marquis.
Eh, wasn't so cool. I looked at everything but returned to the flower gardens. I chose the garden of raised, ornate brick planters in a square directly across the entrance lane where I could see my wife and stepkids and grandkids through the fence, waiting to get on a ride (they were in line 55 minutes!!!).
The bench I chose was along the sidewalk. There I pulled out my tobacco wallet and a meerschaum-lined Grabow. I slowly filled its bowl with the hazelnut beauty of Erik Nording's Labrador (which I smoke when others will be nearby, rather than my non-aromatics, knowing it pleases those who allow it to).
I tried not to be aware of the attention a pipesmoking man drew from the carloads of people entering this lane to turn into the parking lot. Motorcycles, convertibles, restored classics... and rent-a-wrecks people had gotten out on a nice, sunny day.
But I couldn't help notice the behavior of people who now and then chose to pass by me, linger downwind, or walk way around.
I'd say about half changed their path and walked way clear of me. Others kept to their intended route and said hi as they passed (5 - 10 feet in front of me).
And then there were my favorite people -- primarily older women -- who lingered. Watching them out of the corner of my eye, and only gently nursing the pipe, just keeping the cherry barely going for the most part, I would now and then puff it, and watch.
Some of them leaned into it, mouths closing and nostrils flaring (it seemed... I wasn't looking directly at them) as the smoke rolled in the barely present breeze toward them. Some who had been walking on their way would catch the scent and slow down, turning their heads not to look at me, but to inhale more deeply
It was for that little while as if I was a ride meant for adults. Some passed by me, afraid of heights or unfamiliar motions. Some didn't pay any attention to me. And others... they enjoyed a moment on the ride, something they don't experience every day.
All in all, it was a nice afternoon and an enjoyable smoking experience.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nice story. We pipe smokers are still an anomaly to most people. I'm not surprised to hear that the "older" crowd was interested. You probably gave them some fond memories as well.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It's a well known fact that the sense of smell can trigger vivid past memories more than other sense. I imagine that is why some of the older folks lingered for a moment, and more likely than not, were not even aware that they were doing so as their subconscious quickly flashed them to some fond past memories. So... you did indeed give them an enjoyable ride albeit a short one. :wink:

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
:oops:
Thanks, guys. And don't be shy, rsuninv. Invitation open to all: Be sure to post a similar scene if you have one, and have a minute to share it.
(Now... how many people raised their eyebrows and blinked when I put "rsuninv" and "shy" in the same sentence? :nana: )

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
It varies so much. A few months ago I posted about being in a no-smoking outside eating area, asked if anyone minded me smoking a pipe. The guy I was with gushed, "A pipe? Love pipe smell -- please do!" And a beautiful Ukranian blonde brought her chair to our table. In her wonderfully exotic accent, she said she hadn't seen a piper since coming to this country. Great conversation struck up among us: where she grew up, when she had come to the U.S. (at 15), how she learned English (television, mostly) -- until she had to leave, lunchtime for her over. She jetted away in a badass sports car to her job as an accountant somewhere in Arlington, Texas. Just turned 30, single, never married, in charge of her life and no plans of letting any man rein her in. Yet.
If not for my pipe... we would have missed all that.
It's times like that, that inspire me to "test the waters."

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
And then there were my favorite people -- primarily older women -- who lingered.
In all honesty - this is a most excellent thing!!!! :puffy:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
The human brain can remember up to 55,000 smells and as has been previously said, smell triggers and relates to memories more than any other sense. I find that fact pretty remarkable. I am similar to pups, in that i have no fear of lighting a bowl up in public as long as it is appropriate, respectful and tasteful to do so wherever i am. At the same time, i will not take any rude or unnecessary comments directed my way. The majority of the time people either do not mind, or they actually are interested in it. In both instances, the word "grandpa" almost always comes up. I had an older african american lady sit down next to me while we were waiting to get our cars serviced at a local auto repair shop. I was puffing away and she started asking me about the whole piping process, like how to pack a bowl, how many times a relight was necessary, if pipe tobacco was as bad as cigarette tobacco, and etc. Typical questions that newbies ask on here. And just like i would here, i politely and happily answered all her questions and told her i appreciated her inquiring questions. Anything i can do to expose more folks to pipe smoking, i will gladly and proudly do. If i can convert 1 out of 1000 people into possibly going out to the local b&m and buying a pipe and tobacco to try it for themselves, i would consider it a successful endeavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe we (pipe smokers) should try a booth where people could view the ancient art of pipe smoking.

Step right up! They pack their pipes, they light and relight, they tamp, they use the pipe cleaner, and

they blow smoke rings. Only two bucks and you will smell a piece of history you thought you'd forgotten!

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I have been smoking a pipe for four years now, and I'm 22 years old. My wife loves the smell of them but I get very strange looks when I smoke in public. Especially when I am sitting on a park bench. I usually get guys around my age that stop and talk about how cool it is or older ladies that tell me I'm "too young to be smoking a pipe!" haha. I don't mind them saying that, I'm an old soul.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
While I do smoke in public, I live in Colorado and wonder how many people think I'm smoking the "other weed".

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
And a beautiful Ukranian blonde brought her chair to our table. In her wonderfully exotic accent,
OK...this is just getting to be a little too much to swallow. You're really James Patterson, and this is really interesting fiction?

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I'm a woman in my 20s, so its even more of an anomaly. My first experience wasn't so good. Besides fumbling with the pipe as a noob, the first public comment was from some teenage boys asking me if I love having "wood in your mouth".
So that made me a private pipe smoker for a few years until the last couple of months.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
jessicac... holy cats! That would send anyone for cover. Except for the rare occasion, yeah, to avoid the attention-factor, I just keep my pipes to myself. Backyard... garage... drives in my truck.
Since it's bound to draw attention, and I really am interested more in relaxing and enjoying it, private is the best match for me.
I bet it is for just about everyone on here.
Like any other personal indulgences -- what I drink, how my wife and I enjoy our company or what I'm having for supper -- are not my neighbors' business, or the business of delinquent teenage boys.
Welcome to your own private club here, jessiac! Pull up a chair and join us in a bowl. Forgive the occasional reference to "brothers of the briar." They certainly don't mean to exclude sisters.
Pups

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Nope, newbroom. Although I consider myself pretty good at all forms of writing, I left out all the parts that didn't happen.
:)
(Though exotic accents tend to make people seem even more attractive than they'd probably be judged otherwise, maybe).

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Jessica you should of slapped the shit out of that smart aleck, no respect anymore and WHY, people let assholes get away with crap, I bet after you would have slapped the snot out of him he would of ran away like the little punk that he is . Good for you doing your own thing, don't let anybody make you stray, Light it up Gal, I admire you.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Cheers guys!
In hindsight I should have used the "its bigger than yours", especially considering my first pipe was palm sized.
These days, I rock the bigger Petes in public, but while you do get a lot of comments, I think that first encounter was a one off.
besides, having the taste for pipe tobacco puts me off ciggies for good.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I think public piping is important to the hobby. If people don't see it, they're less likely to consider it a mostly harmless activity that sophisticated and regular people participate in. If they don't see it, they'll be more than happy to lump it in with cigarettes and ban it all together.
Maybe pipers should be a bit of a squeaky wheel in order to get their way. Hell, we're not really asking for much.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^^ Agreed. I almost always hear "oh, pipes, yeah those are fine" It's cigarettes and cigarettes that shew people away.

Status
Not open for further replies.