PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
All these recent posts about corn cobs has gotten me excited. So I'm going to try an experiment. I'm taking my brand new Missouri Meerschaum Rob Roy Legend corn cob, and it's going to be the only pipe I smoke for a whole year. I may end up changing the stem at some point, but for now I'll be using a bent black MM stem, that I sanded and smoothed down to my liking. I'll be posting updates occasionally, and I'll be keeping track of bowls smoked. Let's see if Rob and I can get a long for an entire year.
20170918_113800.jpg

20170918_113820.jpg

20170918_113807.jpg

20170918_121351.jpg

20170918_113812.jpg

And here we go.
Bowl #1
20170918_125816.jpg

Reactions: chopper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A worthy experiment. Of course keep us posted. I always chew through the standard MM stem and find the chatter annoying before the stem develops a hole. If you can tolerate it, maybe a softie bit would be a good idea. A Forever stem would be a great idea; you could order that while you use up the stock stem. They render a pipe non-filter, but most of us seem to prefer that. My dad was always a one-pipe-at-a-time smoker. One's sense of time is different in childhood, but it seemed like the briars lasted about two years, in many cases, and the cobs about a year or less, all with no rests and being smoked pretty much breakfast to bedtime except for meals.

• Wow

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Great idea, but for me sounds a bit like punishment :)

Same pipe over and over for 12 months ....
Dont get me wrong I will be cheering for you :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
At six to ten bowls a day It's gonna get soggy, then it'll get a bit sour and then... who knows. Even if you wiped the bowl after each smoke, as opposed to just dumping and reloading, I'll take the under.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
Yes, to echo Warren's concern, how many bowls do you smoke a day?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One year is the bar. I took the under. Anyone taking the over?
didi: Have the sense, as the pipe slowly rots away in your hand, the taste churns you stomach, and you begin to regret ever taking up the hated weed, to know when to call it a day and get out a fresh brier. You aren't required to kill yourself.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hahaha Warren! I like the discouraging comments! I understand if I can't take it, I'll stop, and if the cob can't take it, I'll stop.

Sep 18, 2015
Can't wait to see how this turns out, I think it'll go the distance. Whatever it is they finish these things with its tough as hell, I don't think it's gonna absorb much moisture at all.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The Legend without the hardwood plug might be a struggle with that many bowls a day...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My cobs always build cake over the section where the shank goes into the bowl. I hardly ever burn that wooden part away.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I would have said more than a year, but 5 to 10 bowls a day? Nah, I don't think so. Maybe a Country Gentleman or a Diplomat 5th Ave would have survived a year.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Why not incorporate a second and rotate the two? Even the poorest of souls has at least two "ears". Then you'd still prove a point that cobs alone can run with the pack. However, I've read that the deal with cobs were being both cheap and abundant? (Emphasis on abundant. Hint, hint).

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I always s had just a Diploma for all day smoking it was the one I dropped at 15 years of age and got run over, let my Briars for when I wasn't doing work and could sit. I don't believe he'll have a problem getting through a year, the key is to ensure the bottom doesn't sop up too much moisture and fall out, it's why I chose the Diplomat with a wooden Plug, the stem definitely won't make it though so I'd check Old Log Cabin Pipe Works site now and order a replacement up front, good luck.

banjo

You should maybe contact Missouri Meerschaum and get them to sponsor the event. Maybe camp out on a billboard with your pipe, or the top of a water tower... somewhere visible, where we can see that you aren't cheating, yet secluded enough that you can piss off the edge.

Oh, and I just thought that you had some sort of pigmentation problem. Glad to see that you look, um, err... normal... ish. :puffy:

• Haha

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would only cheat if I had something to gain. Haha I just like the idea of "only one".
One eared rabbit? Piss off the edge? Pigmentation problem?
I'm going back to bed, it's too early for this. Well ..after this bowl maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.