PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Despite mindless brand loyalty or "fan-boy-ism", there are sometimes products that just impress or stand above in performance.
I must give credit where due. For instance, even though I have strong tightwad tendencies, I will shell out the Benjamins required to keep myself in Red Wing boots. They are durable and comfortable with boring regularity. They make my life better and, factoring in the longevity, do not cost much more then the several pairs of lesser boots they replaced.
Now a month in to my piping journey, I've amassed a small pile of briars. From the generic German to the Stanwell, all have performed adequately and given satisfaction. Although inexpensive, I did research each and tried to get inexpensive, not cheap, pipes. A gurgle here and there, an occasionally finicky pathway for the pipe cleaner, all "part of the show", as they say.
My most recent acquisitions, a pair of new-ish, but stinky Savinelli, are altering my pipe perception a bit.
After overcoming the ghosting and beginning to put these guys through their paces, I'm becoming impressed. Rarely a gurgle. Smooth, easy cleaner passage. Light and balanced, feels great in the hand. Superior heat management.
The drawl differs in a way I have trouble in describing. More precise is the sensation, but how to express it in pipe lingo, I dunno.
So, help me put it into proper terms.
Anyone else had/remember similar steps in their piping evolution? Please share.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The only "upper" end pipes I own are my Bruce Weaver pieces. I have found however that my humble little Weber's smoke as good, and better than my Dunhills.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I get what you're saying. I have makers from all over the spectrum from Dunhill to No names. I am not sure that price equals performance perfection. Some of my more reliable pipes are a Bjarne, older Grabows and Kaywoodies that I cannot remember bad smokes. My Dunhill can be hit or miss. A Stanwell Royal Sand that smokes VaPer like its a boss and my Savs rarely if ever let me down. My older Petes always leave me wanting more.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The drawl differs in a way I have trouble in describing. More precise is the sensation, but how to express it in pipe lingo, I dunno.
The pipe breathes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a process. Any well drilled pipe will give reasonable satisfaction, whether you spent $1 on it or $10000. It's 25% equipment and 75% technique.
As you become more knowledgeable about what you like, small bowls VS large bowls, smooths VS sandblasts, button shaping, preferences for certain blends, etc, some choices will start to emerge from the background. Until then keep experimenting as best your purse allows. Eventually you will find those qualities that together create a memorable smoking experience for you.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I can only agree to a point. Some maker's pipes cost more because they are CONSISTENTLY good. For instance, I've never had the finish on a Castello bubble up. Nor have I had one gurgle, or have the drilling off to one side of the bowl. All of these I have had with Peterson and other makes. I buy Castellos and am willing to pay a bit more for them because I TRUST them! If you find a brand you can trust in anything... buy it. Just my $.02

Tim

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree with sablebrush, any well drilled pipe should smoke fine regardless of cost, and if it's one who's shape and style you like, go for it.
However, I had an ah-ha moment about a year ago. I never liked fooling with pipes with deep bends, as so often the drilling made for a lot of fussing when using a pipe cleaner, unless you take the pipe apart. Then I happened upon an estate Ser Jacopo with a rather deep bend. I had heard that they employ a curved drill and somehow make the path of a pipe cleaner perfectly easy. Well, it was true! The pipe had a great open draw, and took a pipe cleaner with ease anytime needed. I ended up later getting another older Ser Jacopo that was a bent shape and it preformed the same. I don't know if there are other pipe makers that do this, and I would certainly not give up buying other bent pipes that I like, but it did spoil me a bit. Sometimes the extra cost actually gives you something more substantial than a big name and a pretty pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
jay: No need to put it into words or even share it. Just lean back and enjoy the great smokes, replace the average smokers and you should have a great rotation in a year or six. I know a great smoker when I have one. Couldn't describe why it's so great. Other pipes as well built simply do not provide the satisfaction others do. Why try to put it into words. Sometimes words are inadequate. Sometimes words are simply hyperbole because there are not words available to describe.
A gurgle isn't distracting to me usually. If I become distracted by such I use my pick and fix it. sometimes a quick run through with a cleaner will take care of any noise. The only noise which really bothers me is passerby complementing me about how good my pipe smells when I'm obviously working. Sometimes whey want to push the conversation and chit-chat, wanting to talk about their grandpa or some such. I suggest they complement the blender as I have nothing to do with the room note. No one yet has ask about the blender but, they've all walked away with the quick understanding that I am not very sociable when working.
Edit: Truth be known, I suppose I'm not that sociable even when I'm trying to be sociable. My social skills are eroding as time slides by.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I first took to the briar I was a firm believer that a pipe is simply a shaped block of wood with two holes in it and a hollow bit of plastic stuck in one of those holes. To some degree that is quite true but of course it's not the whole story as I have learned.
A pipe costing as little as £50 can smoke perfectly well and just as well as a pipe costing very much more. The bulk of my current smokers are self refurbished estates (of varying quality) with a handful of newly purchased low end pipes.
However I have recently gone a bit mad and bought myself three new Upshall pipes that though not mega expensive were much more than I ever imagined I would spend on a pipe. How do they smoke compared to the others? I can honestly say the pleasure I get from smoking these three pipes far exceeds my expectations. Everything about them is perfect from the draw, the physical feel and the aesthetics, so in my mind I think I made the right move from mediocre to high quality.
What does puzzle me however is that folks still buy new Dunhill pipes at vastly exaggerated prices. These are machine made pipes (just like my 'low end' pipes) that are spat out in huge quantities, all clones and made out of briar that is not of the quality that they used in the past. My Upshall pipes were hand made using aged Grecian briar by one man who took great care in what he was making yet were still cheaper than the cheapest Dunhill.
So, spend your money but spend it wisely.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pricing is deceptive and doesn't categorize pipes, really. We think of graduating to better pipes, and I treasure a cohort of mine that is higher priced and/or expertly handmade. I think it is good to have the experience of ownership of higher end pipes, both to appreciate what they are and what they offer, and to know that some of the good old factory pipes smoke exceptionally well too. One advantage of not budgeting too high for pipes is that, with experience, you get to where you can buy one hell of a new pipe for fifty or sixty bucks. As Forums members always show us, great pipes online and at yard sales etc. for Starbucks money. Need I mention fish'n'banjo and his one dollar Dunhill from the yard sale?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I first began to buy pipes and tobaccos, I bought what looked interesting. I didn't really know much about what I was doing and had an experienced tobacconist to offer some guidance. One thing I learned quickly is that experience is the teacher. Research can offer suggestions, but experience offers answers.
As in any other pursuit, branding has played a large role. Some people buy brand names. Others buy what experience has shown them is a good way to go, and that may include some highly regarded brands, or not.
I wore Red Wings for years because they are a great product for those of us who are on our feet for long periods of time and they last. Later I wore ECCO shoes. Nowadays, Brooks are a better choice for me. They're not cheap, but they're a good value and about the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.
Same thing with pipes. Some pipes are very expensive while offering no more performance than others costing a fraction of the price. Some people don't care about value so much as a deep appreciation of design, aesthetics, and/or historical interest. Sometimes it's simply about ego stroking.
One thing experience has taught me with regard to pipes and tobaccos, there is little that is objective about it, and there is always more to experience.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
down the road if and when I'm gonna buy brand new pipes I hope I can afford making some upgrades quality and price wise,

or on the other hand,it might be better solution to buy refurbished older ones but better they come from higher grades, just as Mr Jay told us,as I'm starting to realize most of older ones were made of better briar quality.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Same thing with pipes. Some pipes are very expensive while offering no more performance than others costing a fraction of the price. Some people don't care about value so much as a deep appreciation of design, aesthetics, and/or historical interest. Sometimes it's simply about ego stroking.
Your replies often make me want to nominate you for " Post of the Year"

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Of the 12 briars I have at present, the cheapest was probably 30.00....30 years ago. The most expensive was just under 600.00, a few years ago. I would estimate somewhere between 60 and 80 pipes have passed through my hands. I keep the ones that smoke well, if not perfectly. I let the others go.
This has cost me a good deal more money than I wish, but in the end, worth every penny.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Same here, I smoke for enjoyment, and when I got a pipe that worked better than other pipes I had smoked, I began the slippery-slope chase after that perfect smoke.
On one hand, it's pretty easy to make a pipe smoke good, as a maker. On the other hand, lots of companies seem just to not bother at all with a handful of processes that would render their pipes better (takes an extra 10 minutes per pipe though, so the math doesn't work for production/dollar).
But I can't stand gurglers, and I have gotten to hate the taste of vulcanite. So when I buy, I buy Castellos. Yeah, there are 400 bucks. Yeah, I think they are worth it. Hell, 400 bucks is a tin of tobacco up here, what do I care??

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Squatch - Exactly my thoughts. Too many makers cut too many corners. Sure, you may buy a cheaper pipe that smokes like a champ, but odds are high that if you buy another one of the same make, it won't perform as well. I am not wealthy. I have to scrimp, scratch, and save to buy a new pipe, but after all that effort I want a pipe that I am sure will be of the quality I want. Hence... Castello and pipes from select artisans I know and trust. I lost my behind experimenting the past 2 years. Okay, it was fun, but not something I can afford to keep doing. I'll stick to what I know I like.

Tim

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I agree with the general consensus here!
Cost is generally not associated with smoking quality. Cost relates mostly to the quality of craftsmanship, design, and materials like metal/silver bands, and of course brand names.
I haven't noticed a big difference in performance among price points. On average name brands are probably a safer bet to smoke better than no name chepos, but again I haven't noticed much...

Status
Not open for further replies.