PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Whoa. Whoever cellared this made a good investment.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170873639536&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:3160

May 31, 2012
All I can say is, the stuff MUST be good if folks'll actually lay out such serious bread!
What else could explain a $1,500 tin of tobacco?!?!?!?!?!?!?

..here's a good posting over at A Passion for Pipes on the topic at hand..
I don't even smoke latakia, but once I discovered the astronomical prices the legendary Balkan Sobranie tins are fetching, I began to keep a keen lookout for any orphan cans I could find on the cheap, at antique stores, junk shops or even online --- I actually got lucky and found a cutter top of BS Virginia No. 10 in very fine shape. It just came in the mailbox today, puffy lid indicating good seal, no pinholes, no rust, good label 136 City Rd. address which dates it to 1953-1959. Needless to say I am somewhat ecstatic, but there's no guarantee I'll even make my money back! In fact, I'm a bit strapped for cash as of late & this was total hair of chinny chin chin!
I paid $29+shipping. Hopefully there's enough people out there for competitive bidding? I certainly hope so, I only gambled on this and bought it because I was pretty sure at least someone would pay $35!!!
The kicker is where it was found and how it was listed, it was good fortune for me that I was in deep search for an unopened tin of Capstan Navy Cut Full and in that process I was looking all over creation, never finding the Capstan Full but scoring some Sobranie #10 was a good result of the time investment anyways...so, keep yer eyes peeled at all times!!!!!
Antique SEALED Tobacco Tin from London- English Tobacciana

Status
Not open for further replies.