PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I was wondering if any one had any experience with olive wood pipe? Any opinions good or bad are welcome.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Well ive never had one, but I know people who do have them. They start pretty white and have little visible grain, but as you smoke them they color like meerschaums, they get darker and the grain ends up beautiful. They are supposed to be good smokers, I couldnt comment on that, but they are pretty

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
I made myself a little olive wood nosewarmer a while back. I actually loved smoking out of it. I need to make some more pipes out of it, it's a fun wood to work with. I highly reccommend olive wood!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Love the look of them but I do not own one. I understand they are quite heavy. Beautiful grain though.

Jul 12, 2011
Here is one of my very first pipes made, a fun Olive wood jaw-breaker ;-)

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/olive-wood-jaw-breaker#post-114843
It is a very nice smoker
And here is another one in Pistachio wood that I carved up as one

of my learning projects...again a great smoker for non-briar

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pistachio-wood-volcano#post-121141

pgoeth

Lurker
Apr 29, 2013
I have one and cannot recommend it. It gets very hot, has a tendency to deform slightly and sweats excessively. I never managed to make a cake, as I put it aside for a better smoke after several attempts. Looks good though, nice colour.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have heard that it is fun to work with and they look very nice, but as for the smoke I can't really comment. The only wood I am really interested in is briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.