PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Tom Howard was a vaudeville and radio entertainer back in the day who also made pipes. I believe I've seen posts from other forum members who have some of his pipes, so when I saw a pipe listed on ebay with "Tom Howard" stamped on it, I offered my five buck bid and waited. Nobody else was interested so it's mine!
tomhoward1_zpscd938067.jpg

tomhoward_zps3fc906a4.jpg

Yep, it's pretty dirty but I think it will clean up just fine.
Here's an article about Mr Howard from a 1947 Popular Mechanics magazine.
Tom Howard - Pipe Hobbyist

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's the "after".
It was an easy clean up even though I had to use the "freezer" trick to get the stem off. I'm going to like this little pipe a lot.
howardafter_zps8b8c9217.jpg

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I'm not really a big fan of nosewarmers, but that's a nice looking one. Loved the Popular Mechanics link, I used to have several boxes of 1940s & '50s vintage PMs that got lost in a cross country move years ago. I cried over the loss, they were a great read.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
wyfbane, I'd love to see what yours looks like. After reading everything I could find on Tom Howard I'm pretty sure he didn't actually carve this particular pipe. The pale blue dot on the stem is kind of strange and there are some references to Tracy Mincer being the actually maker, using Howard's name to sell pipes. The other tip-off is that Howard says in the article that he against any "plumbing" in his pipes (stingers, filters, etc) that get in the way of the draft. My pipe has a metal stinger in the stem.
At any rate, I really like the way this pipe smokes and feels in my hand.

K

klause

Beautiful pipe, and cracking clean-up - really nice job.
I love to see these old troopers brought back to service.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like the pipe, inner tube and all. Does Tracy Mincer use them?

The Popular Mechanics link got me looking at all 305 pages. Imagine that! I think it was a monthly magazine too.

The advertisers amazed me. Many recognizable BRANDS remain today.

I can remember driving on cloth belted rubber tires.

I saw that in 1947, according to that piece, oil was going for $350 a barrel. I wasn't even born in 1947, but I was driving by 1964 and I can recall gas @ $.35 a gallon.

Today's oil prices per barrel are listed @ $105.00....a third of its value in 1947 dollars. Gas? $.35 vs. $3.50.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
425D0B41-5E2D-49ED-BEED-4C4C33656F31-19673-0000271CCEF2D4DC_zps9516393c.jpg
Tu here is a Tom Howard, been haveing it quite a while, 4 1/2 inches long, looks like it never had a stinger, says imported briar. Quite wide at the top of bowl approx 3 inches.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks, Teddy and scottgaran,
I preside over the "Land of Misfit Pipes" to paraphrase that old Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer cartoon. I've got my second "The Doodler" pipe coming in and I see another Tom Howard on ebay I wouldn't mind having.
tbradsim1, your Tom Howard is massively impressive! It must be the mothership pipe all the other THs come from.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Tom Howard cleaned up so well! Nice find. A fin (lingo for five bucks) is an appealing price.
That's an amazing Rhody, brad. Is that off ebay, or is it one you bought new? One of a kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.