PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Purchased one of the collaborative effort Limited Edition Wasp corn Cob Reverse Calabash Pipes by Chris Morgan and Missouri Meerschaum Co.

banjo
e1235eda4797578be1822c57d08906769da7641.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
These are not listed on the MM site since they are being made in a Limited Edition designed for MM by pipe maker Chris Morgan if you want one they only have the darker colored ones left and not many at that, comes with a choice of either an amber or black Danish style bit, I chose Amber and added a spare black bit assembly. You need to email pipes@corncobpipes and request if any are available as I know it's getting close to the 150 Limited Edition ones and only the dark colored are left, mine is #122, you will receive an email letting you know one is being held for you and Marilyn will ask that you call the 800 # to complete the order where you will be given the option of black or Amber bits, I chose both and the second assembly cost just $3.00 more, worth it since these are not stock bits, just insurance in case I screw something up. Regards

banjo

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That a very unique and good looking cob for sure. I really like it. Enjoy. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I thought my filtered cobs w/o using the filter had open draws. This 'reverse Calabash' design must be even MORE opened.

New! Unique! Interesting!

I am not thrilled with the shank projection into the bowl. I manage with my regular cobs by using the needle nosed end of my nail set pipe tool as it gets down beside the wood and all around the spaces to clear out any debris.

Sure, some will just burn those shanks right off and keep on smokin, but I try not to do that. I have done it to a couple of cobs...and they don't have bottom inserts...the Morgan in particular got burned away when I discovered just how delightful Lat blends could be.

The shank on my very first cob, the one I smoked like a chimney for weeks, and still smoke regularly, has its full and complete shank projection. The outside of the bowl has bulging cracks that go all around near the top of the shank, but the interior is great. The stem, on the other hand, shows not only tooth wear and crimped mouthpiece, but its tenon reveals heat distortion and has changed shape somewhat.

Just imagine my tongue. (no, not that way)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I had read about "the Marilyn" so I wasn't surprised how cheerful and capable she was in handling a bit exchange last week. I think all MM roads either begin with her or pass through her. She's the type of employee that makes a business shine, especially in fixing problems.
The shank insert vies with stem quality for the biggest problems with their pipes. However so long as I remain a non-stem chewer and buy pipes big enough to have the capacity that I want despite the insert, I'm very good with cobs. The complaints about the quality of their stems being just cheap plastic bypass the fact that a cob is going to become non-smokeable at some point. The closest that I've come to that point is the walls going out of round; there's a lot of life left in those cobs. Other than an accident, even though much more breakable than briar, it would seem that cobs are most at risk for bowl degradation But given that that is likely but as yet on the horizon, why do I need better stem material for a product that by design is going to become non-smokable at some point? In this light cob pairs well with a plastic stem, and to me Forever Stems seem nothing more than pipe consumer culture. I know a lot of guys like them, but the number of times that I stop to admire the stem while I'm smoking have been very few.
As regards the insert, I was all set to remove every last one of them a year ago until I burned through one and had and found I had a bigger chamber. But what I hadn't noticed was that the draft thereby was now a few millimeters above the bottom of the chamber. I know that is generally poor design. So now I ignore the insert and judge capacity by the chamber above it. I just got 10 MM Mark Twains, and their capacity, measured by loading a pipe that I judge to be a solid 4, is duplicated by the Mark Twain.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was going to get one but:
1. too heavy to clench?

2. friction fit stem wouldn't support the weight, said Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.