PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
ropp_zps682499aa.jpg

An interesting stem repair. I never thought of using a shell casing for this!

K

klause

A home-made spigot! Excellent.
It certainly does give it character - it seems to really suit the pipe. Those old Ropps are cracking pipes.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Ha ha! Whoever made that modification did a really good job of it. The firing pin has been drilled out nicely and the stem tenon is a nice fit. As rustic as the pipe looks, it was either lightly smoked or well cared for. Picked it up on eBay for $7.50 . I've seen worse go for more. I don't know why I was the only bidder on that one. Maybe people prefer them in stock condition.

K

klause

$7.50!!!!!
I think you may have scored the deal of the year - a venerable old pipe, that will smoke very, very well, with a unique twist. Fabulous.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This is the first one in my collection and I'm enjoying it. I was prepared to go as high as twenty or 25 bucks on that but after being listed for six days mine was the only bid. I see there are some more good looking ones listed right now.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Would love to know the story. Is the pipe old enough for that to be a field repair? If I understand correctly, the origin of the military mount was soldiers repairing pipes in the trenches with materials at hand.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Nice score! Piece of history with an added bit of personality. Good to hear you're enjoying it.
I checked out some of those auctions, and I kinda love the Ropp Supremes. I may have to see about picking one up. Beautiful little pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.