PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've always wanted an old churchwarden. I took a bit of a gamble with this one on ebay. The pictures were fuzzy, but the price was right. I received it yesterday- and was delighted. Its a super craggy old KBB yello-bole, #2795, lightly smoked, and still retains most of the bowl coating. Its a really dainty thing, weighs in at 30 grams even. Not a lot of info on these, but I'm pretty sure the 4 digit stampings somewhat relate to the Kaywoodie dates. Any information you KBB experts out there can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://s940.photobucket.com/user/mkiss1967/slideshow/KBB

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I saw that one, too. The seller's photos did it no favors. Your photos show a very nice find. Congratulations!
Given the four-digit finish and shape code, the pipe should date to 1929-1939. Based on the information here, your pipe may have been made between 1932 and 1937.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice tall bowl for a small pipe. Iwan Ries carries small churchwardens by Ewa for those who like this kind of pipe

but want one new. I think they sell for about $37.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
the old Yello Boles are really nice
Got to admit, not much experience with the brand. This one, being quite old has a blast and finish on par with some of my old Dunhills--no joke. I know KBB was acquiring some great briar back then, and I believe yello-bole was a Kaywoodie second, but this little number is really growing on me.

The seller on the bay had it listed as "Hillbilly Granny Yellow-Bole Pipe" LOL! http://www.ebay.com/itm/181663411988?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I offered him $32 for it.

Thanks for the kind words and the information all! :)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yello Bole was a Kaywoodie/KB&B second, but with the benefit of hindsight we know that early Yello Boles may have been made with briar possessing better smoking qualities than the "superior" Kaywoodies of the same period.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@buroak & beefeater33

with the benefit of hindsight we know that early Yello Boles may have been made with briar possessing better smoking qualities than the "superior" Kaywoodies of the same period.

If they were a second, how were they obtaining the better briar? Sounds like an interesting history there.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've done a little reading up on the yello boles. It seems that the ebauchons that Kaywoodie deemed not worthy did indeed go to the yello-bole pipes. BUT its also stated that these imperfections were mostly on the surface, so yello-bole turned out smaller pipes(bowls) in general, to get into the "good" wood.

As I said earlier, I own about 30 Dunhill Shells, most from the 30's to 60's, and the blast and fit and finish on this is right there with them. And this thing is LIGHT 30 grams total-- it feels strange in the hand to me, but its my first 'warden and I guess I just expected it to weigh more....

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
oklansas, One story is that Yello-Bole pipes were made of Algerian briar after KB&B decided that Grecian briar was the "better" stuff of which Kaywoodie pipes should be made. On the one hand, the Grecian briar at the time was older growth and in that sense superior to the more thoroughly exploited Algerian briar. On the other hand, many now believe the less dense, more porous Algerian briar to have better smoking qualities than Grecian briar. According to this same story, early (1930s) Yello Bole pipes are made made of that good Algerian briar.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Buroak has it right. I like it when someone stands up for the not so lowly Yello Bole with facts. The older YBs are a truly an under-rated pipe.
I'd say you scored! That is a fine looking pipe!
(Did you know that Kaywoodie was the first pipe to break the $100 mark in the 30's?)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After seeing your pipe, I started thinking that I needed one. I showed your post to my wife and expressed my interest. Her response was 'damn' and she got up and left the room. I was surprised since she's normally supportive.
When she came back, she had an older Medico and Yello Bole 2029W churchwarden in her hands. They both need a good clean and polish. She'd gotten them for Father's Day and thought that she'd have them cleaned and polished by then. We've taken the before pictures, and the YB is almost cleaned - can't wait for June. Will post later, don't want to steal your post.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Plateauguy-

Please do share those pictures, I would love to see them. Sounds like a wonderful Father's Day gift to me!!

You're not stealing this post at all- Its a thread about old YB churchwardens!

Lets see some more....

Haven't had time to clean mine up proper, will do it this weekend- I'm thinking GLP's Westminster for the inaugral smoke, I've got a tin from Feb 2010 that is just begging me to crack open............ :P

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, plateauguy, we want pictures of your YB churchwarden as well.
beefeater33, I only have a couple of early YB blasts, but they are wonderfully tactile and beautiful.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Ok, I'll post a couple of other YBs I have too. They really are great little pipes and deserve some attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.