PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Cup O' Joe's has the red, white and blue cans on sale for $25, FYI.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What are those, 8 ounces? Seven? I haven't tried any of the new ones. The original is one of my favorites and I keep some on hand. I can't help wondering if the new versions are just riding on the original and if they impart anything to the brand. Anyone have a special liking for any of the new ones?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just took the time to march through the specs for each of the four Old Joe Krantz blends including the original, on PC's site, and it was worth it. I won't try to recite the variations, but red is the most complex with six different tobaccos, and the others seem worthy variations on the theme. I have way too much leaf on hand to do it now, but someone might enjoy ordering an ounce of each and doing a comparison. I suspect the original would still be the champ, but the others each have a claim to be enjoyed. I always enjoy checking out the profiles on different blends, sometimes just to remind myself about the one I happen to be smoking.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have a couple of pounds of the original on the shelves. Give it a year and it smooths out and can still kick you.

I just havent been able to buy of the new kinds when i have a bunch of other C&D stuff sitting I need to try.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Original is my go to currently, nice stress reliever. Not really interested in trying the offshoots.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of C&D blends that kick, two days ago, I had a big bowl of Epiphany and I really felt the nicotine, after a substantial meal and plenty of liquids. A Forums member sent me the sample, and it may have dated back to the Morganton N.C. days of C&D. Whoa-Nelly, lucky it was late evening and I could settle into bed.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have a tin of Epiphany open, did not do much for me but I will get into it better once I get my cellar sorted out. It did interest me with the description. I got mine from Iwan and it did have some age I believe.

Sep 18, 2015
I am a fan of the original & have a couple cases worth jarred. I did order a couple tins of each of the new one to try, so far the only one I’ve opened is the blue, I like it enough that I will order a couple pounds worth in the very near future.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because I am a devotee of the original Old Joe Krantz, it irked me that C&D strung on other versions, but after carefully reviewing the constituent leaf in the newcomer blends -- and one of them was previously marketed under its own name -- I see that they are related, but distinct. So I'm accepting the group branding and may try one or more of the new versions in the future. If it's good, I won't argue. The specs read as if they are intelligently differentiated, and I have quite a bit of confidence in the C&D blenders. I'd bear in mind, two of the new ones are decidedly milder than the original, and that might appeal to a new group of smokers. I like a mild blend in rotation too.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just for reference: (per P&C)
OJK brown can (original) cubed Burley, dark Burley, red Virginia and Perique
OJK white can white and dark Burleys,flake-cut bright Virginia, black Cavendish and Perique
OJK red can (formerly Bag Piper) Dark and cubed Burley, red Virginia, black Cavendish, Latakia, and Perique
OJK blue can (formerly Burley Straight) white Burley cube cut Burley and bright Virginia
jay-roger.jpg

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Tried the old one and that was nothing for me but i always see alot of people who love it so it's probably somthing wrong with me :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jrenko, something wrong with you? You're you. If you didn't like it, that's good to know. I suspect there are some blends you find excellent. One Forums member disliked Semois thick cut so much he sent the rest of the package to me, along with a beautiful pipe. The pleasure of pipe smoking is, when you smoke, you're king. Or if female, queen. In my case, I like OJK for its quality burley, and the balance of the condiment leaf.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Mso489, it's always fun to hear what people like and dislike. What someone taste or smell in a blend.
I was sent some Bayou Morning Flake from a friend. it was a big sample and the last he had left, i smoked one bowl and it tasted horrible so i told him and he laughed as it was his favorite. In the end i sent it back for him to enjoy.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I picked up one of each "new" OJK and a few oz of the original, since I'd not yet tried any of them.
HERE's a video comparing the three newer ones. They all sound pretty good to me.
jay-roger.jpg

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
That they sounded milder has made me not try them - love the original. But I have gotten to love some milder blends since then. Maybe it's time for a try.
Jrenko - I hated the original at first, jarred it to discover it a year later and loved it. Hang on to it until you're bored one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.