PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2017
Maryland
My first english was Old Dublin, followed by the second, Sufliff Heavy English. OD has a tin note that smells like a NASCAR pit stop, but if you were like me, when I was younger I love the smell of gas burning from the car exhaust. This might sound strange but I really like this blend. Just wanted to get other opinions about Peterson's Old Dublin, or English blends in general.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am a huge fan of Old Dublin. I smoke it regularly, and have, for many years.
I smoke a lot of latakia blends. (I'm trying to remember to use that term, since "English" and "Balkan" and so on are marketing terms and not clearly defined.) I don't like blends where the latakia overwhelms everything. I don't like sweet lat blends. I really don't care for perique. And I have as yet to find a crossover lat blend that I could enjoy past the first couple of ounces - with the exceptions being SG Navy and Bothy Flake.

I like a blend that is either lat forward, with orientals in the background - Dunhill Standard, PS Proper English, SG Balkan Flake (which has no orientals, name to the contrary) - or balanced - H&H White Knight, Balkan Sasieni, Dunhill MM 1938.

To each his everlovin', blue-eyed own.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I can't do English blends anymore, but they used to be all I smoked. Never liked Old Dubli. In fact, it was one of my least favorite blends. Then again, I didn't like Penzance either, so take it for what its worth. I much preferred Gas Light, Ten Russians, Blackhouse, and Margate. If you like Latakia, I would highly recommend any of these!
Tim

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I'm also a huge fan of Old Dublin. There are a few English blends I really don't like, and there are those that I only smoke rarely, but OD has been a mainstay since I first tried it. 'Balanced' is the word I see thrown around most when reading about OD. I think I like blends where the orientals match or exceed the proportion of Lat ymmv.
The room note could be a bit better, but can't win em all.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I love Old Dublin, probably because it's very similar to 965, my hands down favorite. I find that English/Latakia mixes are my favorites. OD, 965, PS Proper English, PS English Oriental Supreme, BB1938, London Mixture, Balkan Delight.
I love the thick, heavy, smokey flavors. To me, English Mixes taste the way I think pipe tobacco should taste.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In past when I was picking up my pipe (smoking it occasionally)it was only Latakia forward blends I smoked, mainly Dunhill Standard Mix but then eventually I got overdosed with this genre tobacco, finding the taste owherwhelming,and then there was serious down side,all my pipes got latakia flavor ghost in them,but yes,creaminess&rich taste of these mixtures still remaining in my memory,today the blends with Kentucky dark fired have taken the place of latakia in my rotation,nevertheless I have feeling some day in the future I'll start revisiting this balkan/oriental/English genre once again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lately, I've enjoyed John Bull English, a pouch tobacco retailed at P&C, and Sutliff's Westminster (not GLP) which is compared to Dunhill's London Mixture but may have been discontinued. Nat Sherman 536 is mild but a real work of art in blending. P&C Chestnut is an American English that is a bargain and a flavorful blend. There are always Dunhill's 965, and so many others. English are some of the most-likely-to-please blends, even the ones you don't re-order. Though it is way-mild, Iwan Ries' Spilman Mixture is real contentment.

Status
Not open for further replies.