Old Dominion Longevity - as good as MM's?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
So you folks that have been talking about Old Dominion (and I like that the makers spend some time on this forum) have all had some good review. You seem to like them. Im a big fan of my MM's, but my favorite thing about them is that while some consider them throwaway pipes, mine seem to last.. .and last... and last. I have yet to have one burn out (some are 10+ years old).
I know Old Dominion hasn't been around 10 Years, but are these burning out after 20 smokes? Or is a good cake building up and they appear like they'll last a while?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My grump with MM is the fifty cent plastic stem.
Old Dominion uses a natural organic reed that is earth friendly, what ever that means. I like my Old Dominion for what it is, a reenactment historical item. I prefer my Peterson's for everyday smokes, and the cob for when a cob is more appropriate.
Corn cob, is corn cob, so the cob in either should have the same life span, which depends on how you smoke it, and what you smoke in it.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Zeke, every corn cob ever made in China shows that all cobs are not created equal. Size, species and drying process all seem to have a significant impact.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I concur with Rogermugs. I once had a Chinese cob. Once.
Not all are created equal...
Would be interested in hearing how Old Dominions hold up. From what I have read, I'd reckon pretty well - but I have zero first hand experience with them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Only time will tell, but the Old Dominion pipes seem to be properly seasoned and well constructed to last. I'm

not sure how the bamboo stems will wear, but bamboo is tough.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Let's say that the Old Dominion pipes wear out after a while. I may have been one of their first customers--I've been smoking them daily since they came on the scene at the turn of the year, and mine show no signs of burnout, but just for argument's sake, let's say that after some point in time, it happens. The good news is that until that point I've been enjoying a delightful smoke--very sweet and pleasant, and if I need to buy new pipes to replenish my stock, I've gotten more than I paid for in terms of smoking value. And I'll certainly buy new pipes because they're worth it.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
But if you've been smoking them even this long then they probably got something right. Good to know. Thanks.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Conceptually, I see no reason to think Old Dominion is an inferior product in any way ... they appear to be well-made and built to last as long as a cob pipe possibly could ...
What I like better about MMs is the variety of shapes, two or three of which appeal to me more than do any of the limited selection available at OD ... not to mention the fact that I've got some 'forever' stems which I quite like and which are readily transferable to a new MM if an existing one were to 'bite the dust' ...

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
rogermugs,
Just to give you a little background about our company, we're a small family-owned business with my brother and I as co-owners doing most of the manufacturing, marketing, and shipping. While MM turns out pipes each year by the tens of thousands, we're happy to turn them out by the hundreds. The heirloom Indian corn variety that we use for our cobs has been grown in our region of Virginia since the 1870s and has been DNA tested back to the "Bloody Butcher" variety that was first grown in Virginia back in the 1840s. Our goal is not to try and copycat MM, but to provide our own unique line of cob pipes based on the traditional bamboo/reed stem corn cob pipes as manufactured in the latter half of the 19th Century and the early 20th Century. We base our designs on vintage corn cob pipes in our personal collection, many of which date to around the turn of the century.
Re: burn-outs, while we are a relatively new company, we just haven't seen burn-outs as a problem with our cobs. Like any pipe manufacturer, we expect to receive the occasional complaint regarding a manufacturing defect and that's why we do guarantee our pipes and offer to replace any pipe that a customer may receive that is found to be defective in any way. To date, with several hundred pipes shipped out, we have only received two complaints from customers claiming to have received a defective pipe. In one instance a customer claimed to have a burn-out and we immediately sent him a replacement pipe which seemed to satisfy the customer. In the other instance, a customer claimed to have had a burn-out and we resolved the issue with the customer by refunding his money. To date, they are the only complaints that I've received. Our goal is to provide a quality cob pipe with good customer service, so customer satisfaction is a top priority with us. We do randomly test our pipes and have attempted to stress them in an attempt to try and induce a burn-out (burning dry tobacco, puffing on them excessively, smoking them outside under windy conditions, etc.), but to date we've been unable to do so. That's not to say that a burn-out can't ever happen, but it doesn't appear to be a very common issue with our pipes.
One other note about our pipes regarding our stems, we occasionally get asked as to how we fasten our stems to our pipe bowls. The answer is that we do not use any glue or adhesive as vintage reed/bamboo stem pipes were not glued to the cob. Instead, like the vintage cobs, we taper the end of our bamboo stem and the stem is then inserted and twisted clockwise until we get a tight, secure fit. Once in a while a customer will contact us that a stem apparently worked loose during shipment. If that occurs, simply re-inserting the stem and twisting it clockwise should re-secure it in place. If not, then as mentioned above, we'll be happy to replace the pipe if the customer has any problem with it.
Anyway, hope this info has helped.
Sincerely,
Bob Savage (virginiacob)

Old Dominion Pipe Co.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Much obliged for the response. I'll probably be ordering here soon to try one out.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I've been meaning to order one as well. Thanks for taking the time to give us some more information, Bob!

Status
Not open for further replies.