PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have a poster of that in my classroom! I love their hard leather soles and the guy on the right is having a "liquid lunch". I took my class to that exact location for a field trip, they're erecting the GE Building at Rockerfeller Center.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
BB2E8F1F-79C8-4500-9E1F-CB314933BB5E-8287-00001014BE4CC389_zpsfe7559b6.jpg
Grandfather Threashing rice in the early 1900s.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I get a queasy feeling in my stomach when I see pictures like that. No way in hell.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I'd give it five minutes before I called it quits. Probably less. I saw a video of a tower climber climbing to the top of what I believe was an antennae, on top of a building, to change a light bulb. I'll see about posting the video or one similar to it tomorrow- unless someone beats me to it.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I absolutely love that photo - real men one and all. Not a safety harness in sight. I hope that's a water bottle the guy on the right has! Me, I get queasy on about the third step of the ladder.
An instructor in some class I took posed an interesting scenario. He laid out a 6 inch line on the ground and said, 'Ok, this is an I-beam connecting two towers 40 storeys up - who would walk across it?'
Lots of no ways. He said, 'Alright, now I'm at the other end holding up a hundred dollar bill. Who would walk across for the hundred bucks?' Lots of nos.
'Ok, how about for a million dollars?' Some pauses, but still mostly nos.
'Alrighty then, now I've got your KID!' Hmmm.
His point was, all that changed was perception. That said, no way in hell I could do that, but then I've never had kids.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I absolutely love that photo - real men one and all. Not a safety harness in sight.
Which is one reason both unionization and OSHA became necessary - the mortality rate among ironworkers was one of the highest in all the trades at the end of the 19th century. This year, the union reports six fatalities so far this year, nationwide.
I'd be willing to climb up on the roof of a single-story building for a quick repair, but anything higher than that I'm going to need a safety line, thanks. :D

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
As an iron worker back in the day I did it all the time. When I first started the only safety equipment required were work boots, hard hat, and D ring belt. We didnt have to tie off and most of the time the equipment was not availabe for it anyway. We did just as you see there, only with hard hats on. I built stadiums , hospitals, and office buildings. Two of my friends died doing it.

We dont do it that way anymore. Its all safety safety safety. 6 foot up and you tie off. But we have equipment to do it with now. Then we didnt and many people got hurt and died. But we were buiding America

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
You're welcome, Jud. I try not to get overtly political, but I'm a history major and a dear friend of mine is a safety engineer, so I twitch a little at the idea that "real men" don't need safety equipment.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Funny thing in the osha book subpart R iron workers were excluded from nearly all the safety measures untill the early 90 s. I remeber when we had to start wearing harnesses we didnt even have to tie off . It wasnt untill later that tie off became required and then it was 30 feet. So we would deck every other floor so we didnt have to tie off. Now its six feet.j

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Hey, I didn't mean to say that real men don't need safety equipment! A real man figures out you DO need safety equipment! I combined two thoughts into one sentence - while I admire those guys for doing a risky job, things are much safer and better now.
You aren't a real man for being dumb; my sentence came out wrong. Sorry everyone.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
No worries - you're right, I read the two sentences in sequence and construed them as a continuation of a single thought. Given the way my own mind works, not always the way to bet. Hey, look - a squirrel! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.