PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I am having one hell of a time keeping this tobacco lit. I have now smoked it 4 times. I have tried rubbing it out and then drying it. I have tried drying it and the fold and stuff method and I can not keep it lit. Be aware that right after lighting it withing maybe 1 or 2 minutes it goes out. I have had this stuff dryed out to the point it was crispy and I could not keep it lit. Any suggestions?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Fold and stuff and cubed are pretty hard to get going in my experience. Not sure about the rubbing part though, that is how I prep mine. Its probably how its being packed into the pipe. What kind of pipe and how are you packing it?

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I am using a straight L.L. Bean pipe. I will be experimenting with packing methods. I have great success smoking my Latakia but when it comes to flake tobaccos It is an epic nightmare. From my understanding you deal with flakes differently.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Keep practicing and experimenting what works for you. Personally, I do not worry about keep my pipe lit and require many relights. Once I gave up chasing a constantly lit pipe, my enjoyment factor went up quite a bit.
I typically use a two or three stage method for packing, depending on the bowl size. You want to have just enough resistance so its like you pulling through a straw. Puff on the pipe after each layer so you can judge how tight the pack is. How the pipe draws could also be a factor. I find that if the draw is open, it helps my bowls stay lit easier.
Another thing you can try is once the pipe is lit, gently blow through the stem every so often to provide some air for the ember. Very gently though.
It took me awhile to find a method that works best for flakes. Now, flake is what I smoke 90% of the time.

perjensen

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
@Easterntraveler. Not to interfear in this discussion, I just want to turn your attention to a piece of writng I did some 10'years ago. You can find it here: http://mac-baren.com/how-to-fill-a-pipe

I hope it might help you in getting the full enjoyment out of flake.

Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Mac Baren tobacco

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
@Easterntraveler. Not to interfear in this discussion, I just want to turn your attention to a piece of writng I did some 10'years ago. You can find it here: http://mac-baren.com/how-to-fill-a-pipe

Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Mac Baren tobacco
So cool that you frequent these forums. Well done, Per!

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013

Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Mac Baren tobacco
After reading this, I realized that I've always put the U shaped end of the folded flake into the bottom of my bowl, and I've always had a harder time smoking the last bit of it. I'll have to try the "MacBaren method", maybe this will help a bit. Thanks for the link Per!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You may be packing it too loose. I cube cut mine and then pack it very firmly. Once I get a goo charring light and the a good first light I make sure I have a nice cherry going and then I am off to the races.
I use the three step packing method and before I light up, I make sure I get some real good resistance like sipping a thin milkshake.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
And I just learned Per and Georg are the same guy. I clicked on this thread because I'd just loaded some Old Dark Fired and I'm doing it wrong. I love this place!

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
yaz - thanks for the video, I guess I was doing it right! Except for making sure the bottom was pretty loose, I didn't think about it like the 3 step method. Makes sense.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually this stuff is very pleasant and seems to take to ancient meerschaums quite well. My friends in the UK are fascinated by the stuff as they all live in a Condor/St Bruno/Twist planetary system! I found it would light quite easily if you sprinkled some loose tobacco on top and it burns very evenly. The video pretty much tells you what you need to know about this stuff. Did anyone notice the amount of tar this stuff throws off?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Eastwood, glad I could help. I also learned something from this video as well. I wasn't making it loose on the bottom and tighter at the top. I will be smoking a flake and a half of Vauen 14 in the morning and will try this method as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.