Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thought others here might find this interesting...
civilwar.jpg

From an article over at the DailyMail:
DailyMail
Shows photos taken by Matthew Brady, etc.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
It's hard to find a civil war photo without a pipe in it! The world had more class and more men in it back then. Great photo six:)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys - glad you liked it. I really enjoy seeing pipes, whether on TV or in photos.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Very interesting - everyone had a straight stem. Has the straight stem always been more popular? For some reason I thought that it had come into it's own in the 50's and forward.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very interesting - everyone had a straight stem. Has the straight stem always been more popular? For some reason I thought that it had come into it's own in the 50's and forward.
Good question. I am not sure what shape was most popular back then. The other fellow appears to have a bent bulldog (and I always thought of bulldogs as more Victorian-era).

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
@teufelhund - Let's not forget that "those good old days" also included screaming soldiers on a table in the field getting their limbs sawed off. Yikes, the thought of that... That and the moldy hardtack they had to eat, which caused many to die as well...
I, too, love those photos - They really take you back to a time that seems almost like it could have been yesterday.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
@HappyJacks You nailed it right on the head, what a great photo.
@Plateauguy

As for pipe styles, I have seen and handled many originals and they vary from simple clay bowls with straight reed stems to some full and partial bent briar pipes in a majority of bowl shapes. It all came down to what they could aquire on campaign or what they brought with them or had shipped to them from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.