PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Last week I picked up four pipes from a guy who responded to a Craig's List ad I placed. None of them are spectacular but I only paid $20 for the bunch, and I probably over paid to be honest. But I didn't want to have made the trip to see them for nothing. Anyway, I have started on two, one awaits, and the the fourth was trash ("No, man, none of them are broken or anything. They're in real good shape and real old, from the 30-40s I think." Hardly…)
This first one is stamped only Bruyere over Garanit in a sort of oval pattern. Something is in between but the nomenclature is so light I can't make it out.
Diptic-5.jpg

Diptic-6.jpg

It took a lot of soaking and scrubbing and a bit of sanding to get the varnish off and the briar even close to even but it came out pretty good, IMHO.
Diptic-7.jpg

Diptic-8.jpg

I restained it a diluted dark brown which I like a lot. Some of the grain came through, which is what I was aiming for. This is one of the pipes that prompt my earlier thread on windcaps; I left it on and worked around it.
Haven't smoked if yet but am looking forward to trying her out.
BTW, if you happen to have an idea of who/when/where etc it was made I'd appreciate the info.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks guys for the comments and info. Maybe the guy was right afterall on the age of at least this one! lol. I am going to have to do more research on it it seems. It's a pretty small bowl, not really my "size", so it may make its way to someone else.
Roth, it's not missing anything; that's an odd angle showing part of the "vents" on the side. The cap is nailed on under the top, in the rim.
Would they have had stems of this type that early? It's a military mount, P-lip type, by the way.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Great restore and would like to know what the history is if you ever find out what it is.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Roth, that's a great thread you found! And it does look like my pipe. In fact, looking closer, I believe that's my fifth-great uncle Fritz Woolfhardt. And with that photo I should be able to sell it for 2-3 times its value!! :rofl:
All kidding aside, the more I learn the more enamored I'm becoming with the old gal. Thanks again for all the input (thus far).

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
You did a great job cleaning her up. Hope she smokes well for you. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This and the Kaywoodie in another post, impressive. You might sell these as a line of estate pipes; I mean they're

one of a kind. Like all pipes, they are sculptures, but also pieces of history. You revive them from

scuzzy old cast-offs to beautiful historical pieces.

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
Great job. Looks like a totally different pipe. IMO that one was worth the $20.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks again for the kind words. It's another I don't plan to sell and have become attached to. And I agree: this one was worth the price of the lot. However, I did restore the Carey Magic Inch and sold it for $11, I think, so I'm really only into this one for $9, and that's if I don't do anything with the last one! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.