PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm an Burleyphile, and an unabashed fan of Bob Runowski creations. OJK has long been a favorite of mine and stays in pretty regular rotation. It's rich and full with just a hint of sweetness. Maybe not an all day smoke for most, but depends on your tastes I suppose.
Then there is Haunted Bookshop. Referred by some as OJK's younger brother. This one never did it for me. It's got all the right components, but there is a musty almost dirty flavor to it that just doesn't suit my palate.
So, I'm curious. What are your thoughts? Do you find HB in the same vein, or is it lacking something for you like it is for me?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've recently converted to C&D Burley based bulk blends, basically. I really like Billy Budd and Big n' Burley, (go figure) and also OJK...haven't tried Haunted Bookshop...skipped right over that.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I prefer Haunted Bookshop to Old Joe, but I like both. They're in the same family, but Old Joe is darker and sweeter tasting, mainly because of the portion of Perique, but I think the burleys are slightly different, too. Haunted Bookshop has some bright VA in it, which is probably another factor differentiating it from OJK.
I'd say Haunted Bookshop is probably one of my favorites of all. Also, for me, the nicotine is stronger in Haunted Bookshop than OJK -- must be a body chemistry/nicotine uptake thing, because most people describe OJK as the stronger of the two.
Have you guys tried the plain bulk cube cut burley from C&D? It's wonderful stuff -- probably the purest, nuttiest burley flavor around.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Have you guys tried the plain bulk cube cut burley from C&D?
Yup, got a lb. of it in the cellar. It is pure, but I have found it can be a bit harsh. C&D does Burley extremely well, but I think they do it in a way unlike any other blender. They showcase the natural, raw flavors in Burley, instead of covering it up with a ton of casing in the production process.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Ok, I feel the need to adjust my previous response. When I ordered Cube Cut from C&D, I was going through a Crooner stage, and basically cutting it 50/50 with the Cube Cut. It did not take long for me to tire of it, as I found Crooner to be overbearing.
That being said, I can't really remember when I had smoked the Cube Cut alone... so I decided to dig one of my bags out of the cellar. I'm smoking some now. Not the harsh that I recalled, and I suspect my previous response was probably overshadowed by the memories of the acrid taste in Crooner.
I think this one might deserve a bit of dedicated smoking time... and maybe some Perique. :mrgreen:

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I quit buying HB because it was very similar to OJK and I just didn't think buying 2 blends so similar was cost effective. I prefer OJK because the nicotine level suits my tastes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D is the reigning master of non-aromatic burley blends in my opinion. I like OJK very much, Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, among others. I haven't tried HB, but if it is blended a little milder than OJK, I think it might be a touch too mild for my tastes. I am holding a tin of C&D Burlely Flake #1 and Riverboat Gambler -- all in good time. C&D treats burley with respect and gets excellent blends with it in most cases. The only other suggestion, if you love burley, also try Tobac-Manil Semois, both the thick and medium cut. This is the Belgium grown burley variant; smoke it in a deep not especially wide chamber. For burley smokers, this is a real treat too.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
C&D is the reigning master of non-aromatic burley blends in my opinion. I like OJK very much, Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, among others. I haven't tried HB, but if it is blended a little milder than OJK, I think it might be a touch too mild for my tastes. I am holding a tin of C&D Burlely Flake #1 and Riverboat Gambler -- all in good time. C&D treats burley with respect and gets excellent blends with it in most cases. The only other suggestion, if you love burley, also try Tobac-Manil Semois, both the thick and medium cut. This is the Belgium grown burley variant; smoke it in a deep not especially wide chamber. For burley smokers, this is a real treat too.
+1

rogers

Mar 9, 2012
It's been a while since I tried OJK, but as I recall it was a bit harsh and peppery, and I just could not find that sweetness most smokers raved about. HB, on the other hand, was more to my liking. :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yes, sports fans, if you like C&D burley, you should try Burley Flake #2 -- white and dark burleys with just a touch of VA, all pressed into a rich, smooth-smoking flake.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Night Train is some good stuff, Kola. I have a couple lbs. cellared. I had a pal send me some aged from 2007. Talk about heaven on earth.
Only issue with night train is that it is a very, very pressed crumble cake. It's like a workout just breaking the s**t up. Worth the effort though I suppose.
@Pitch - I have only had the C&D Burley Flake #3. Was not that big of a fan. I stuck it up on the shelf to sit and will revisit in about 6 months.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
@Pitch - I have only had the C&D Burley Flake #3. Was not that big of a fan. I stuck it up on the shelf to sit and will revisit in about 6 months.
I wasn't a big fan, either. After it had been open for a while, it gave some decent smokes, but freshly opened it's just kind of "off" -- really pungent and sour, but not really in a good way. Likewise, I didn't love Burley Flake #1 (mostly dark burley with VA and a little Perique). To me, the darks were overwhelming, flavorwise.
#4 has a bit of Latakia in it, and I'm just not a big Latakia smoker, but I do like Morley's Best and Crowley's Best, so maybe I should try it at some point.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
It's been a while since I tried OJK, but as I recall it was a bit harsh and peppery, and I just could not find that sweetness most smokers raved about. HB, on the other hand, was more to my liking. :puffy:
Agreed. To much Perique in Old Joe for me. I don't care for that "Perique mouth feel" a.k.a. "Someone is forcing a garden weasel down my throat."
My actual favorite C&D Burley is Burley flake #2; that is some fine stuff.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Despite Engine 99 being my favorite blend I keep nearly as much OJK on hand as it and indeed smoke Old Joe more frequently. I do see where one could find HB in the same burley-forward family but prefer OJK's sweeter nature, probably from the darker burley.
I also keep Night Train on hand and like it as well, preferring it over HB, but not more than OJK.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Pitch, I mixed some C&D Cube with some unflavored Black Cav and Perique. Turned out pretty nice. Wrote the recipe down. Not sure it's a keeper yet, but not a bad little throw together concoction.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Pitch, I mixed some C&D Cube with some unflavored Black Cav and Perique. Turned out pretty nice. Wrote the recipe down. Not sure it's a keeper yet, but not a bad little throw together concoction.
That sounds good. I've mixed Haunted Bookshop with unflavored Black Cav and GLP Cumberland (for the Kentucky) and it makes a nice, smooth and savory mix. I don't have the proportions quite right, yet, but those ingredients (Burley, VAs, plain black cavendish and Kentucky dark fired) work well together. I'll have to experiment with some perique when I have a chance.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I'll have to experiment with some perique when I have a chance.
This mix might actually be able to use a bit more. Tough call. You can smell it in the jar, but not sure if I can taste it. A touch more might jack the whole thing up. Only one way to find out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.