PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossdoug

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Somerset ohio
Well I've been lurking and stealing your knowledge for awhile now, and figured I should do the introduction. I'm 38 from ohio, I'll call it southeastern central ohio. Been on the pipe for about a year and a half now. Still trying to discover which blends I need to stockpile in case we internet sales go away

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hi, Ohio, and welcome aboard. My first solo commercial flight from Chicago was at age 10 to visit my cousin and his folks in Cleveland. I really felt grown up, and I'm really glad my parents and the times allowed me that adventure. I don't think I'd try it today with a 10-year-old. My standard advice to new pipe smokers is not to buy much of any blend at a time. Try different genres like English, Balkan, Virginia, Virginia Perique, aromatic, etc. Even if you love something, don't buy much, since your tastes will change. Jar what you don't like and try it gain in a year. Buy an ounce, or one tin, or a pouch at a time.

mossdoug

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Somerset ohio
Thanks everyone. I probably have a big enough list right now, but there's so many I haven't tried. I know I want a supply of plum pudding, key largo, hh pure Virginia, jack knife plug, the sutliff red Virginia bulk and crumble cake, union square. I'm actually having trouble finding stuff I don't like except aromatics. I would like to find one aromatic I like

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Welcome from Colorado. I would agree with mso489. Your taste will change over time. Blends I didn't like a few years ago have now become regulars in my rotation.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Welcome moss. LOTS of choices out there, take your time and smoke lots of different things to figure out what you're drawn to and what you aren't. (This will change as you venture deeper into the hobby)
Where in South-Eastern OH? My folks are from the Adams Co and Northern KY area.
PS: I'd highly recommend Sutliff bulk blends as well as C&D. Affordable and a wide range of flavors.

SPC also has the top 100 tins and bulk blends they sell. Worth a look to see what's popular.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Welcome from Philadelphia. Half the fun (or more) is trying new brands. Don't be in a rush to find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.