PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have carefully trialed and/or stocked 50ish blends now, and really refined what I generally like, and what smokes well in what pipe. However...

I have a glass jar in my workshop where I tip leftover tobacco, usually its the ziplock bag with less than a bowl left, or just whatever did not fit in the pipe when drying something, also i have tipped in the rest of a tin when i was not partial to the blend. So it is constantly changing, over sweetened aromatics, latakia heavy balkans, everything gets thrown in and shaken up. Theoretically this mongrel blend should be terrible, but its not, I stuff a pinch or two in a pipe whenever I am pottering in the workshop and it tastes great every time. My least favourite briar even seems to smoke well with this in it! Its just one of those things i guess, maybe the next leaf i tip in there will throw the scales and it will lose its charm, who knows.

below is the recipe, so far as i can remember:

autumn evening

skiff mix

frog morton orig, cellar, town

davidoff red

rlp6

1Q

early morning pipe

brown rope

etc etc

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
many of us in the pipe community call this "pensioner's blend"
Exactly ... it's usually surprisingly good.
Latest mix: McCranie's Red Flake, Wessex Camapign Dark Flake, C&D Bayou Morning and Rincon de la Pipa #1

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I have a jar going containing two unknown latakia blends,Mohawk River, and Mississippi River. Probably should have just enjoyed the last bit of Mississippi instead of wasting it in the pensioner's blend. ;)

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Sounds like baccy gumbo. I'm gonna give this a shot as I have a little dried out Dunhill, a little Mississippi River left that is still too moist, and an old bag of some B&M blend that I first started out with...all of which has been hanging around while I have moved on to other tins. Do any of you throw in the dregs from a bowl as well? That might give it an extra panache.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Always called it my chimera jar. Always smoked it when tackling the "honey-do" lists, or yard work.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've never been a committed consumer of anything. I'm always looking to 'save money', or to be most effective with what I spend.

I guess it's because I'm old enough to have been influenced by remnants of the Great Depression, the Irish Potato Famine, and a working class upbringing.

If I smoke a bowl incompletely enough to leave some smoke enhanced dottle, I MIGHT dump it into a bowl or a jar for a smoke later.

I smoke all day long and there's often some I don't burn. I can generate a couple of bowls of dottle fairly quickly and when dried it smokes and tastes just fine MOST of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.