PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
So, in this other post I mentioned how I was able to pick up some stuff, amongst which this quite old Yello Bole Premier. But disaster struck as I was slowly carefully dis-assembling the pipe. I heard a little snap and a little piece of Acrylic stem and the stinger broke off the tenon. I don't think my wife has heard me scream that loud in quite a long while ;-)
In short, I now have a broken tenon, a stem that literally falls out of the mortise and a pipe that, although it cleaned up real nice and is apparently quite old, it is also quite un-smokable in this state.
So, any idea anyone on what to do ? Superglue the little piece in it ? Send it off to Tim ? Or just let it be and consider the Yello Bole a nice piece in the collection.
YelloBole1.jpg

BrokenTenon.jpg

BrokenTenon2.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
If the stem stays in and doesnt let air in, I'd say its perfectly smokable. Just harder to keep clean maybe, and unsightly. It will be hard to replace the tenon I think. The standard practice is to cut off the tenon, drill a mortise into the stem and glue a new tenon into the end of the stem. Since the stem is clear, the new mortise would be quite visible and look awkard. Tim West may have a better idea than that, who knows ? I think its a cool pipe worth saving.

If it was me, and the short tenon seemed to hold the stem in place well, I'd just sand the end of it off until it was flat across the end.

Thats only if the tenon fit is snug, and it seems like the nub of tenon left would be enough to hold the stem securely.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Toker

It's actually really loose. The stem falls out, literally. So I don't think it's smoke-able. I may shoot some pictures to Tim and see what he says.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm smoking my Cristiano bent saucer with it's duct tape 'tenon' right now. The duct tape covers the silver band, but hey, duct tape is silver, and I can still hold it in my mouth just fine. Once I drill out the broken end of the real tenon stuck in the mouthpiece I can replace it, but it smokes as good as new, just looks a little different.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Certainly worth attempting to glue the piece back on.

After the glue has set if it's still loose try building the tenon diameter slightly with clear nail polish.

and of course in this instance for sure, forget the stinger!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't think that stem is acrylic. Probably bakelite or nylon or...? It Ain't gonna hurt to try supergluing that piece back onto the tenon.It's smokeable as it is. Just leave out the stinger. It may tighten up with a few smokes. You might wet the inside of the mortize with a little water.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'd say not to worry about the stinger, but you could probably get a delrin tenon made to fit the current stem after the tenon is cut down. Heck, they could probably refit the stinger into a new tenon as well. It'd definitely be something for someone like Tim West to accomplish. This is the type of thing I was about to get into doing for broken tenons before we moved and I had to separate my workshop.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Clean it off good, dip a pipe cleaner in cooking oil and stick it in then fill it in with some epoxy and let dry. When dry pull out cleaner sand it down untill it fits. You are now good to go.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ace57's suggestion sounds good to me too.

Alternatively, since we're talking about a Yello-Bole pipe, why not just permanently glue the stem into the shank?

You'll still be able to clean the thing, and there's no rule that says a pipe must have a removable stem.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Superglue the piece back in place mate. Apply a coat or two of clear fingernail polish over tenon. It will now fit perfectly, smoke perfectly and clean perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.