PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Okay.. I need some help here. I've only been smoking pipes since last fall and I've been experimenting with several types of tobacco... aromatics, Perique, Latakias, etc... Anyway, I can smoke a cigar and wife doesn't say a word. In fact she says it makes me smell good. Go figure. But fire up the pipe and bam! She hates the smell that sticks to my clothes; says it nauseating. It's really a problem. I don't notice it as much because I'm smoking it. But she even insists that the clothes get separated in fear that the smell will contaminate the other dirty clothes. She doesn't really approve of the whole smoking thing and I understand that. But it's something that I love to do so I really want to try to keep the whole smell thing on the down-low. Question is... if I choose an English blend or something that isn't as aromatic like say.. Dunhill Nightcap or maybe a blend of Frog Morton, will the smell not be as strong on my person than if I smoke an aromatic? I hope this doesn't sound stupid and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with my pipe and tobacco terminology. I really don't want to offend anyone especially my wife and not to mention my clients. Lord knows if I have clients coming, the pipe goes away until they leave. Oh, and I DO NOT smoke in the house. Only outside in the freezing cold garage with the door wide open. Indoor smoking would be over the young lady's dead body.. and that ain't happening! My wife's grandmother used to smoke Chesterfield Kings till her late eighty's (God rest her soul) but she wouldn't even allow my wife's grandfather to smoke his pipe in the house because she said it stank! And that's after a pack of CK's! Anyway, thanks to anybody who has some advice to offer this newbie sort of pipe smoker and enthusiast.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Wow, different, usually the english blends that cause a stink, not the aromatics, try a straight VA like Orlik

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sorry for your trouble mate. I think, and it is just my opinion, that it is not the smell, so much as the idea of a regular smoking routine. May not be the actual sniffer at all if even a pleasant Aromatic is not acceptable.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
My wife's grandmother used to smoke Chesterfield Kings till her late eighty's (God rest her soul) but she wouldn't even allow my wife's grandfather to smoke his pipe in the house because she said it stank!

Forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds, but I think that may be the problem right there, not the smoke.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
A wife who like residual cigar smoke is rare indeed. Be careful trying to expand her palatte. You may lose what so many of us would love to have!

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
So either it's psychological or she really doesn't like the smell.

Have a chat and try and find what about the smell it is. Suggest ot may be the association maybe.
Other than that, why not try some stronger more cigar like blends?

I'm not sure of commercial blends with cigar leaf, but my local blender uses them.

Peterson's Irish Flake maybe?

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
It is appropriate to consider the advancement of some castle rules. A man smokes what he likes. There is nothing bad about the manly aroma of sweat, a cigar, or a pipe. It is your aroma and it reflects your adult manly personality. I strongly disagree with smoking "vanilla" if you like a cigar. If your wife is accustomed to your cigar she will become accustomed to your pipe. Hang in there and stick with the program.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
My wife almost has the same problem. On a warm day the tobacco smells good to her.

Than, the same tobacco on a cold day she hates. Also found that the shirts I worn also

reflects that the next day. Must be the body chemistry changes.

Joe

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
@sirsmokesalot: We all need to preach it. Men need to be manly. Women need to get accustomed to us; they need to get a tight hug and a big kiss from a man who smells like one. Eventually pussification stops. All women really do like strong men. They just need to learn "how" to like them. It's up to us to educate and that begins at home.

• Haha
Reactions: f4phantomdriver

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
My wife loves the smell of just about all my tobacco's but she doesn't like the stale smoke smell that lingers after I've smoked in the car.
The situation about the grandmother sounds very similar to one a friend of mine has. His wife's grandfather used to smoke some horrid cigarettes and collect the tobacco from the butts and put it in a pipe when he had a bowls worth. She doesn't like the aroma of just about any blend and we've always figured she's associating pipe smoking with what her grandfather did.
GLP Robusto has cigar leaf though I've not had it so can't comment on it's aroma or flavor.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
What? She loves the smell of cigars but not the smell of an aromatic pipe tobacco? That makes no sense. I'm gonna have to second the notion that its the idea of the pipe and not the actual smell.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
1: Smoking Jacket/ sweater / hoodie / whatever. I'got two alternating. One in laundry, one on my chair in my office. When smoking, don the zip-up fleece. ;-)
2: Work by process of elimination

What are some of the aromatics you were smoking that she didn't like?

That's a good start. If she likes the cigars, try doing this for a test. Take a cigar you know she liked (but not too expensive), crumble it in a pipe, smoke it. If she comes back hating the smell, you have indeed a different issue on your hands. If she likes it, it's a tobacco smell. My wife went all weird when I was smoking Peterson Holiday Season. She got used to the smell of the nails and said I smelled like "Fruitcake". :rofl: But she's opening up more and more to the lighter aro's (1-Q, MV-1000, Erinmore, etc..) that I like.
3: Go to tobacco reviews.com and use the "advanced find" function to find tobacco's containing cigar leaf. I believe Mr.O has a blend called "Stogie" that was specifically targeted at cigar smokers. Give that a shot.
Good luck my friend. Don't give up ;-)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It is rather strange that she likes the smell of the cigars and not the aromatic blends. Usually it's the other way around. Women tend to enjoy the smell of a nice sweet aromatic pipe blend lingering on a mans shirt/jacket and not a cigar. I'd venture to say this probably has something to do with her subconscious and something in her past with a pipe and not the real smell of the tobacco. Probably not a bad idea to ask her why she doesn't like the pipe smell, how long she hasn't liked it, etc.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
@sirsmokesalot: We all need to preach it. Men need to be manly. Women need to get accustomed to us; they need to get a tight hug and a big kiss from a man who smells like one. Eventually pussification stops. All women really do like strong men. They just need to learn "how" to like them. It's up to us to educate and that begins at home.
@mjtannen

Sir...I like your style!! :D

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am very interested to see what the female pipe smokers in this forum have to say about this vast glittering generalization about what "all women" like. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.